PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
It is a traditional stout Irish plug.
It will be made by STG in Denmark (I think? I hope!) who also make the other popular Irish plug heritage brands like Warrior, Velvan, Mick McQuaid, and etc.
This thread by Klause,

sadly closed due to my dumbassery,

tells the tale and in many ways was the actual genesis for wild thoughts of a possible resurrection...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/warhorse-bar
:puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mlc, thanks for that link, very good read. Woodsroads talking about the tobacco apocolypse is pretty scary. I am glad I stocked up like I did as some blends I love could be discontinued.
From what I can gather the new War Horse is going to contain latakia? I am not a fan of latakia, but will try it anyway just to see what it is like. I see Fribourg & Treyers Cut Virginia Plug being out of stock for months now and wonder if this is the beginning. That blend was never hard to get. If it did go out of stock for a couple of weeks, it was replenished with a large supply of tins.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks Jesse, sounds good. It sounds like it is going to be a feeding frenzy when it hits the market. I will have to get in touch with my inside source and buy a 100 tins so I can re sell it for a huge gouging profit.

basil

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
I'm glad they're using round tins. I've always had trouble unscrewing the rectangular ones....

May 31, 2012
...and another thing,

speaking of tins and War Horse,

from the historical perspective, Gallaher never packed it in tins, it was a workingman's smoke, sold either unwrapped over the counter or in a paper packet -- the resurrection attempt packed in tins looks jarringly unWarHorse-like.
For nearly one hundred years Gallaher sold it mostly in a paper packet,

a tinned variant did not exist.
In the long run it'd be cheaper as far as material costs go, to pack it in the historically correct manner, but I do understand that the process to enable the humble packaging would probably cost too much and be a major financial investment...
...but the term "ready-cut" as applied to this new blend is misleading,

is it not?
The new version is a loose mixture.
In order to be "ready cut" there must exist a solid form to predate the "cutting",

yes?
In my eyes, the new War Horse Loose Mixture is a modern Americanized reimagining and pretty far removed from its ancestral forebear,

a loose interpretation which nowhere or in no way approximates the authentic article as was made by Gallaher for all those years.
So,

what's the point?

:?:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
What's the point? My feeling exactly! Love the ready cut and eagerly awaiting the plug. It's all in the taste. In this case, presentation matters not to me. Quite frankly, I hope the ready cut tastes just like the plug. Less muss and less fuss. I suspect the plug will be "stronger" for want of a better descriptor. That's a plus. Might have to keep both around the house as go to blends.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Here we go again...
mf-140214-246487030411076960.jpg

May 31, 2012
It's like if I posted this quote:

So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.
...and attributed it to Winston Churchill,

nobody would correct me?
Because history doesn't matter,

right?
:?:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Because history doesn't matter,

right?
Something about being doomed to repeat something if we something. But I forget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_t13-0Joyc
-- Pat

May 31, 2012
declare, for mlc's sanity, that from now on we denounce Warhorse bar as having anything to do with the original Warhorse bar, and that it just coincidentally happens to have the name of some long forgotten bar of tobacco of antiquity.

Do I get an amen?
edit:

Denounce War Horse Loose Mixture (currently being sold as "ready-cut"),
And I will give you an amen!

:)

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I'm confused how you can go from acknowledging your "dumbassery" in a previous thread only to continue it 6 posts later????????
:crazy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In my eyes, the new War Horse Loose Mixture is a modern Americanized reimagining and pretty far removed from its ancestral forebear,

a loose interpretation which nowhere or in no way approximates the authentic article as was made by Gallaher for all those years.
And surely we can all accept this view and think about it to determine to what degree we think it is accurate.
I just want more UK plugs floating around the USA... starting with Velvan, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.