PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

William F.

Lurker
May 4, 2024
Lone Star State
I definitely cannot add anything approaching an answer to your question but I do have one of my own:

Is it also stamped with the makers mark (presumably Fribourg & Treyer)?

If so, the company must have still been able to fetch a decent price for the pipe.

Reactions: yanoJL

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I believe I’m a reject!
1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?
2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. ~ Isaiah

Reactions: PLANofMAN and mingc

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. ~ Isaiah
4. Even his pipe was deemed of no account; a 'second'. ;)

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I definitely cannot add anything approaching an answer to your question but I do have one of my own:

Is it also stamped with the makers mark (presumably Fribourg & Treyer)?

If so, the company must have still been able to fetch a decent price for the pipe.
Yes, F&T - I think that they were happy to sell it for less, maybe, with the caveat.

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
But apart from all that, everything was tickety-boo.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
All the best people are.
But to the original question. Yeah that flaw is enough. I used to love going to this huge store near where I live that sold seconds. Sometimes it would be a tee shirt with three sleeves and other times a bit of cosmetic stitching was off. The best second I got was a pair of Doc Martin boots (green ones) that cost me less then 20 dollars the tongue in one of them was off center. It showed when unlaced but once you laced them up it looked the same as any other. The thing is in all of those cases not only would you be disappointed if you paid the full price for it, it would also likely sit on the shelf for a long while if it cost the same as a similar item in the same line without any visible flaws.

Reactions: BingBong

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My estate Fribourg & Treyer "Reject" arrived yesterday, had a smoke in it and it's absolutely fine - so why was it stamped REJECT?

For the tiniest flaw, I suspect - a tiny void in the briar which had revealed itself in the making. What do you think?

View attachment 309422
Back in the days, some makers were VERY particular with their grading eg Comoy
Comoy’s top grade was the Specimen Straight Grains
Anything with the tiniest flaw was downgraded to Special Straight Grain or Straight grain. Often the flaw is not noticeable unless you search for it.
At a fraction of the cost of a Specimen Straight Grain or the now over-priced Blue Riband, these rejects are true bargains. If you like Britwoods
IMG_6435.jpegIMG_6434.jpeg

Last edited:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Back in the days, some makers were VERY particular with their grading eg Comoy
Comoy’s top grade was the Specimen Straight Grains
Anything with the tiniest flaw was downgraded to Special Straight Grain or Straight grain. Often the flaw is not noticeable unless you search for it.
At a fraction of the cost of a Specimen Straight Grain or the now over-priced Blue Riband, these rejects are true bargains. If you like Britwoods
View attachment 309584View attachment 309585
I don't really know anything about Comoys except that Blue Ribands fetch so much. Why is that?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I don't really know anything about Comoys except that Blue Ribands fetch so much. Why is that?
“Blue Riband” was a term associated with luxury ocean liner travel at one time

When Comoy’s first brought out their Blue Riband line, they were one of their better grades.
But not top shelf, in my understanding.

I have only one Comoy’s Blue Riband.
To be honest I have cheaper pipes that smoke as well, with far nicer grain.
I feel they are overhyped and overpriced.
I would rather have a Special Straight Grain.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I assume this was a good deal (not me):

Rare Comoy’s Made Selected Straight Grain Vintage Pipe #28 Billiard NEAR MINT! | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/166753967477

s-l1600.jpg