PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
My Perique order from whole leaf tobacco came in today and before I take it out of the vacuum sealed package, I wondered if anyone might have some tips on the best way to proceed.

I want to open it, cut it up in strands, and start adding it to different blends for fun but I can’t tell by reading the WLT website whether or not I’m supposed to take it out of the package and leave it to dry somewhere first. If so, Where? And for how long? I don’t think my wife is going to too enjoy the smell of drying Perique this Christmas…

Dry it in the sun? Go ahead and cut it up for use? Microwave? Any thoughts?

Much Thanks!

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
I bought a small paper cutter (the flat bed type with a handle as a blade) and use it to cut a section, off the packed leaves, of what I think I will need for blending, let that section dry at room temperature then use very very sharp scissors to cut the strips to the size I want. I use the paper cutter to cut it down as much as I can. Trying to cut the moist leaves with just scissors will take a toll on your hand.

Then enjoy your Perique.

Good luck.

Reactions: DotAndBang’sPipes

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I just recently opened a tin of Torben Dansk Louisiana Perique I use as blending tobacco, and the smell indeed reminds me a lot of Sauerkraut, in which the cabbage also gets fermented, a little black peppercorns are there and a certain minor sweetness like prunes.

View attachment 192559
That's interesting. The perique I've smelled, Sutliff and C&D blending perique, smell like aged, musty, unwashed, gym socks. Not very appealing.

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
T
That's interesting. The perique I've smelled, Sutliff and C&D blending perique, smell like aged, musty, unwashed, gym socks. Not very appealing.
That is exactly what Perique I bought from pipe shops smelled like back in the 70's. Not so much now.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
What did you do with the Perique? Any recipes to share
After cutting it up and jarring it, I’ve just been adding it to weaker or less interesting Va blends. And it’s been great. I’ve also added it to a few blends that are aging with it. I’ll try those in the near future. All in all, it was a great purchase and I’ll do it again.

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
Just when I thought I had reached a point of contentment with my tobacco curiosity and TAD I found this thread and now the whole leaf tobacco site. I'm not sure if I should thank you or curse youbdwnnnn

Using WLT to make your own blends opens up a whole new avenue of pipe smoking enjoyment. With all the different leaves available you can blow your mind trying to come up with some blends that you prefer.

Have fun and enjoy, you will come up with some you like.

Good luck.