PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
The general lack of interest in being a celebrity or famous expressed here is not too surprising given the nature of most of us attracted to the pipe. It would be interesting to pose the same question on a cigar-centric forum and see if there's a difference in sentiments expressed.
Ren

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, I suspect a majority of cigar guys (and maybe gals?) would be all up for fame, and some with not too much concern about how it occurred.
Carl Sagan is an example of a person who's attainments surpassed his fame, his work is more famous than him personally, and that's the bullseye.
Jean Paul Sartre is a mixed bag; I admire his turning down the Nobel Prize, the integrity required. However there is a connection between him and the inner circle of Pol Pot, the Cambodian killing fields dictator, and their study with Jean Paul in the 1960's (I think it was). So fame can be dangerous, a poison, not in exposing this connection but in producing it. I wouldn't argue that Jean Paul taught them that, but their politics were supported and gestated in his presence perhaps.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I'd have to say I prefer anonymity.
The closest I've ever been to being famous was when I owned a unique car. I bought a 2000 Acura Integra Type R when they first came out. It was bright yellow and stood out like a beacon. At the time, it was "The" car among the "Import" car crowd. Every teenager that owned an old Honda wanted to check it out. The first few times someone admires your car at the gas station it feeds your ego a bit and gives you a little thrill. But after an endless number of times, spending 10 minutes answering the same questions and saying the same things to another stranger it gets old. It gave me an insight into what it must be like for a celebrity.
I'll take the quiet life, even if I have to suffer a lack of funds because of it.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
"Kieth Richards sold his soul many years ago, and believe it or not, in a strange Voodoo pact, he cannot die until someone kills Barry Manilow."
Funny I hadn't heard the Barry Manilow part, but I have heard that part of the Voodoo pact deals with tobacco consumption. For every cigarette that is smoked around the world he gains another day of life. However, I can see the Barry Manilow connection now. There can be only one!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
They're gonna put ME in the MOVIES!

They're gonna make a BIG STAR out of ME!

The biggest fool that ever hit the BIG TIME,

and all I gotta do...is ACT naturally.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always think I'd mostly like the attention, being recognized and sometimes deferred to. However, I don't even crave phone calls, mostly, even people I know. So being greeted in the hardware store by strangers expecting a conversation and affirmation ... I don't think so. Also, people tend to play on one or two stereotypical aspects, trying to get celebrities to repeat some line or thought associated with them. When I spot a celebrity, my first impulse is to divert my eyes and pretend I don't notice. I saw a local anchor man being very kindly to a somewhat slow-witted waiter and thought a lot of the anchorman for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.