PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Working as a farm hand, a ditch digger, a fry cook, and a warehouseman convinced me to go to college. First generation college in my family. Did a Bachelor of Science, in Economics and Math, at the University of North Texas. Then I did 25 years of work in high tech. When I finished raising my kids, I realized a long-held dream and did a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing at Michener Center for Writers, University of Texas. I should have stopped there, but I went on and did a Master of Science in Information Studies at the University of Texas, with the aim of becoming a librarian.
Now I am over-educated and under-employed. I write, and I teach at three universities, all adjunct, part-time, no benefits, I do editing and writing work, and I give workshops and do readings. All that together and I make about 25% of what I made in tech. But what I do now is a lot more fun.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Finishing up my Bachelor's in Management Information Systems at Columbus State University right now. Will be graduating in May.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I went to a Bible College, did a year and half a semester. Greatest thing I ever did was go to Bible College that first year. I'm going to be going to Siast in the fall most likely to start the process of getting my ticket as an electrician.

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
B.s. in computer science

B.E. Electrical Engineering

M.E. communication Engineering
The funny thing that I started a job lately just because of these degrees

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I've been to 4 different colleges, but life has gotten in the way each time. I really didn't take advantage of the G.I Bill. So, no degree for me. I still don't know what i want to be when i grow up.

acaciavet

Lurker
Sep 8, 2009
The United States Coast Guard was my Education, Then I had the Pleasure of working for two Brothers Arney and Stan Bellows. they gave me my Masters degree in Life and Business. Oh my undergraduate work with the USCG is where I learned the meaning of Keger :D
Up Spirits

Chuck

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Somewhere along the path of life I picked up two bachelors, two masters, and two doctorates. I have enjoyed the academic life thoroughly and I have met many many people who didn't have a string of letters to write after their names who were bright, brilliant, and wonderful people to be with. a prime example is my father-in-law. We can never prove that he ever even graduated from high school, yet he was mayor of his community, a well-read well-informed person, and the most decent man it is ever been my privilege to know. So if you went to college or you didn't you still have the option of being a decent person, and the choice resides entirely with you.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I got a bachelors in music and in education, and then went on to receive a masters in education. I then needed to attend Seminar Gordon at Haifa University to complete a teaching license requirement. I became the first and only Israeli ever to receive such a license while not actually teaching in an Israeli state school! Later on, I did indeed teach in state schools, and then became a lecturer at the Ort Braude Technical College and Bar-Ilan University. Nowadays I do only private tutoring.

I totally agree with ravkesef's remarks above.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Went to trade school back in 1963 to 1966 for Machine Shop. Spent years in Military manufacturing and Aerospace manufacturing with the Boeing Company in Auburn Washington.
Earned my BS Degree in Business from Cardinal Stritch University in Madison Wisconsin. I did this to show my family I could. All while working nights full time, raising 2 babies and doing full university credits. My wife earned her MBA, my Daughter graduates this year with her MBA. My son is a Trade School graduate as a Construction Electrician.
Learn a skill from a Trade School. There's always a need for skilled tradesman. Companies are digging for skilled labor and pay well. Unemployment is less if your good and have a good skill that other will pay for.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
B.A. in Comparative Literature. And now I'm a full-time freelance writer -- six books, hundreds of magazine articles, and currently writing my first novel.
Bob

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Bachelor of Business Administration from Trent University in Peterborough Ontario. I use the skills every day in running the marketing firm I work for each day. Great fun, learned a lot, I was glad it was done though.

jeremyh

Lurker
Dec 22, 2012
BA and MA in philosophy. PhD in religion. Now I teach those things at a small university.

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Interesting thread.
Where I come from a young man or young woman has basically two choices that are socially acceptable after completing grammar school. College or Carnival. (I will spare the readers of this thread the fate and horror of those young people who were denied and/or rejected the before mentioned opportunities).
I chose the carnival. And never looked back! Not a single regret either despite all the hard work and dung I shoveled. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.