PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
McConnell blends seem to be second tier behind the considerably more famous Dunhill and Rattrays. Perhaps part of the problem is nobody seems to remember who Robert McConnell was. Even the Kohlhase & Kopp website offers no history on the man. So, who the hell was he. . . blender, tailor, soldier, spy??

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
(The link above gives some modern history, but doesn't discuss the older history of the McConnell tobacco concern which is what I'm really curious about.)

Reactions: logs

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Here's a little interesting info as the subject was broached not too long ago:

Great link, thanks for posting it! I searched the forum for McConnell history before starting this thread but missed this information. Still doesn't explain why the company name is Robert McConnell but at least shows there was a McConnell family involved in running things. I was beginning to think the name was just an invented brand name, much like John Aylesbury

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Great link, thanks for posting it! I searched the forum for McConnell history before starting this thread but missed this information. Still doesn't explain why the company name is Robert McConnell but at least shows there was a McConnell family involved in running things. I was beginning to think the name was just an invented brand name, much like John Aylesbury
I love a good mystery. I searched the British Newspaper Archives yesterday and I think I found some information. I'd have to renew my subscription to see it though but for a few bucks I think it might be worth it. Though it's likely to be advertising. It'd be lucky to come across an old article or similar.

Reactions: logs

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I found a little blurb about them originally producing Ashton blends:

"C.E. McConnell Ltd., a small but renowned tobacco house based in London, was originally selected to produce Ashton's line of pipe tobaccos. Working with Ashton founder, William Ashton-Taylor, they set out to create the distinctive tobacco blends using traditional methods of curing. When C.E. McConnell closed, the McClelland Tobacco Co. was selected to produce the pipe tobacco blends, strictly following all the original recipes."

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Barking Road, London E16. That used to be a pretty rough area with a lot of little industrial concerns and engineering shops and printers. The best moody Spanish peseta's were printed by a print shop around there that also did all the menus for the Indian and Chinese takeaways. They also did French francs to cater for the school kids on their day trip out to Boulogne. I always thought it was an act of revenge against the French for surrendering in 1940. I have often wondered what sort of parent sent their 13 year old on a school trip with moody foreign currency. rotf

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
McConnell also made private label tobaccos for American shops. Garfunkel’s in DC was one I believe, and I think Leavitt and Pierce in Boston was another. They also made the wonderful Elephant and Castle line for Marble Arch

Absolutely right. Among the blends CE McConnell made for A. Garfinkel, Inc. are Ye Old Scottish No. 3, Oriental Supreme No. 5, Scottish Cut Cake No. 6, Garfinkel Flake, Black & Gold No. 9, Atlas Rich Black Cavendish Matured in Bond, Regent Superb Special Mixture No. 8, Gold Leaf No. 16, and Gold Leaf No. 17.

Reactions: BROBS and oldtoby
Status
Not open for further replies.