Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
to answer the question. It was a bit here and there from people who smoked pipes. Mostly experience. For instance I dry my tobacco out but it's because I accidently let some dry out thought it was ruined and still smoked it because it was the last bowl I had at the moment and had one of the best smokes of my life. One of the best pieces of advice was in a transcript of Tudor era commentary on smoking that claimed people sipped pipes, didn't know if they meant it like we do or something else but it helped. But mostly just experience.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I grew up watching my grandfathers with a young boy's interest in their rituals, smoking their PA and SWR codger blends. I first tried at the age of 19 myself using my grandpa Mitchell's Grabow. Both had already passed on of course. Through trial and error in those early years with many a scorched palate herfing dime store aromatics and then jumping to quickly into Virginias, some forty plus years later I think I may have finally figured it out, ha ha ha!

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
There are no B&Ms in my neck of the woods, and I knew of no one who smoked a pipe at the time. But it was something I wanted to pursuit in earnest, and like many people my age, I began by combing through online videos. Muttonchop and Stuff 'n Things were the most helpful, but by and large, I found most of the online video resources to be only somewhat useful at best. Part of this was because I learned best by reading, and part of it was because anyone can publish online content, meaning there was a lot to see and read but I didn't have the experience and tools necessary to distinguish the good from the bad.

So, I'd say I got an okay start with the YTPC, but that I actually learned through trial and error. Refinement came from reading posts from knowledgeable members here, as well as articles online that were enlightening (e.g. G.L. Pease, Peterson Pipe Notes, etc.). Very glad I stuck with it.

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
Learned by doing--trial and error, watched some videos, read some instructional articles, saw what you guys here had to say. Still learning and enjoying the process. My dad always smoked cigars, but he tried a pipe once for about a week in 1985 or so. I don't think he knew what the heck he was doing. Never remember seeing him try it again, so that was ho help when I decided to try the pipe, but whenever I first started with cigars at about 18 or 19, I knew just what to do, having seen him cut the end off, light it, and so on so many times.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
The old adage is that the road to success is paved by many mistakes. If that is the case my road is pretty well paved. I bought my first pipe in 1980 and started out like I knew what I was doing. I didn't. Luckily I had watched the old timers smoke their pipes when we went to town every week to get groceries when I was just a youngster. They would set outside the tobacco shop, telling lies and smoking their pipes. I noticed that most did not have great columns of smoke coming from their pipes, instead there were little puffs. Later when I discovered the breathe method, I remember that there was probably as much smoke coming from the pipe as there was out their mouths. My mentor at my first job smoked a pipe,and it was because of him and Sherlock Holmes, my favorite fictional character, that I got that first pipe, a Dr. Grabow Billiard. A lot of pipes later and many tobacco blends, some tongue bite in those early years and finally figuring out what I was doing wrong and what I was doing right, I think I can comfortably set down and have a good smoke.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
This guy in Lace Wars taught me how to smoke a clay pipe:
https://flic.kr/p/rrrrd2 He taught me to blow through the pipe every few puffs - and he gave me a pipeful of Holland House to smoke in my clay.
I'd like to learn to light my pipe with flint & steel as part of my bushcraft courses; I really enjoyed getting my pipe lit from the blacksmith's forge at the Redcoats & Revolutionaries event.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I picked up the pipe when I was 16. I was drawn to the at a young age and snuck my dad's pipes every chance I got before getting my own. Back in the 80's, tobacco sales were legal to 16 year olds. Later on a gentleman by the name of Dan Nathan, may God rest his soul, took the time to teach me smoking techniques, blend types and the nuances of different pipes. He taught me to appreciate and respect the history of pipes and tobacco.

1. There is not much to learn putting a ribbon cut tobacco in a pipe and light it - But the B&M employee reminded me to buy a pipe nail and a tamper
2. I found this forum on the same day and learnt I must smoke Latakia, Virginia and Orientals (and Burley later)
3. Learnt about preparing flakes, plugs from this forum
4. Rest of my knowledge on pipes come from this forum, a lot of books, pipedia, pipephil, GLP, tobacco reviews, etc…

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I floundered around for years with bad pipes and a blend from a local tobacconist years ago, then only drugstore pouches. No internet back then. I still enjoyed it and was able to make it workable. My learning curve was steep once I found this forum and YouTube videos. I still consider myself an amateur.