PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
The man I knew some 40 years ago is mostly likely passed on. He was probably in his mid 50s then but seemed much older to me. I've always remembered him. Looked a lot like Peter Graves as I remember. You see, this man smoked a pipe all time. Once every week we would meet up and he would teach me about life. He was like a grandfather to me. All the while he spoke he would take out his pipe, pack it, and light it and dispense his wisdom with swirls of smoke around him. He would use his pipe like a pointer to emphasize the important parts. I watched this ritual repeat for many years until he was no longer able to smoke due to health issues not related to pipes. I grew up and moved away and we lost touch with other. I became old enough to smoke a pipe myself and I remembered his ritual. How he carefully selected tobacco from a jar and loaded it with precision into a old worn and charred pipe. After some trial and error I had my own pipe going well and began what would become a decades long journey into the world of smoking pipes.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
A friend of my parents while I was in college who gave me a couple of his pipes to try and turned me on to a great English blend sold in bulk at a local tobacconist who unfortunately, has long since gone out of business. I've not since been able to find a tobacco quite like it.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I sure do. Pete Switzer of Pete’s Tobacco Shop in Anchorage, Alaska. 1994. At the time his shop was in the Mountain View neighborhood, he later moved downtown and ran the shop with his daughter Barb. Pete died in 2003 I think, he must have been close to 90 at that point. @warren did you know Pete or ever visit the shop? Who knows we may have crossed paths.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Pete Prevost, the President of Briarworks....

That being said, I tried 20 years before meeting Pete and had some crummy advice that I followed: "Don't smoke a pipe, you'll burn your tongue. "

It burns my ass I let someone influence me to that degree then. I missed a long time of good smooth kaleidoscopes flavors and ritual...

I know better now. I still have that first pipe...

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I guess I learned from my Grandfather...i watched him, and just asked questions...He was a patient and quiet man, and I was the kid that always had a thousand questions....about everything...

Grandpa, had a Dairy farm, with a tobacco base...We raised corn and Burley tobacco, (The first thing I ever smoked out of a Cob pipe)...I didn't smoke anything in front of him until I was in the Military...

Ahh... The Good Old Days!!

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I picked up my first pipe and tobacco pouch in 1988.
I didn't have anyone coaching me. I learned it all on my own.
Until 1993, where the owners of a local B & M took the time
to help me perfect my knowledge and technique.
Looks like I wasn't doing too bad until then. :)

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Muttonchop Piper pretty much taught me everything I know, with others like Spurgeon Piper and Pipe Nook giving some help as well. I've known very few people I knew to be pipe smokers and I haven't spoken with any of them in years, so If it wasn't for YTPC I probably would've really been in the dark, and chances are I wouldn't have gotten into pipes in the first place.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I vaguely remember "smoking" a few times with my father's pipes. Kind of like playing at being a man. But the only thing I really started smoking when I was 21 years old were mostly Havana cigars. I think that learning to smoke a pipe has been largely through the internet, and here on the forum.