PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Why and how you do it? Never did it before. Then I did today. 1/4 of the bowl was packed tight due to chasing flavor and keeping flake going. It was fine till 2/3 of the bowl just with first light. Did DGT with 1/3 that was left. Went fine for short time and light went out. Usually, I would have dumped it, but I just started DGT and wanted that smoke. Thought about the situation, and against my good judgement, decided to stir the tobacco. Bad mistake. It was nasty. There was air pocket below the tobacco and I should have poked some holes. So, I would like to hear from those who stir the tobacco on why and how.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don’t usually need to with ribbon or shag, but cake and flake sometimes need it. I use a horseshoe nail to pick any chunks apart that are having trouble staying lit, but I do it as I smoke. I’ve never gotten a change in taste because of it. ?‍♂️

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don’t usually need to with ribbon or shag, but cake and flake sometimes need it. I use a horseshoe nail to pick any chunks apart that are having trouble staying lit, but I do it as I smoke. I’ve never gotten a change in taste because of it. ?‍♂️
So you are more or less evening out the tobacco. Not really stirring the remaining tobacco. I also do that. Scrap the side of the bowl, or fill in the area from one side to other.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
So you are more or less evening out the tobacco. Not really stirring the remaining tobacco. I also do that. Scrap the side of the bowl, or fill in the area from one side to other.
Yeah, sounds like you were asking about something else in your original post. My bad. Yeah, I don’t guess I really stir then.

Reactions: bullet08

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
After I get the pipe really going, I smoke til it goes out -after that, I lightly stir up the ash, dump, give a light stir/tamp and smoke until it goes out again ...after that I dump the thing out unless there is an unusual amount of tobacco left. ...for me, at least, the flavor seems to be done/less than optimal after this point.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Nope once you stir your getting a mouth full of ash. Been there done that! Part of the learning curve. There's not much tobacco left at that point for me anyways, so I dump it out. If it's really that good and you want to milk it, light what's left after the dump and in as the way kiss the stem or your great smoke turns to sht and becomes disappointing.

Tamp lightly not to compress the tobacco further down the bowl and dump if the ash is too thick that the ember is too deep to burn...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Why and how you do it? Never did it before. Then I did today. 1/4 of the bowl was packed tight due to chasing flavor and keeping flake going. It was fine till 2/3 of the bowl just with first light. Did DGT with 1/3 that was left. Went fine for short time and light went out. Usually, I would have dumped it, but I just started DGT and wanted that smoke. Thought about the situation, and against my good judgement, decided to stir the tobacco. Bad mistake. It was nasty. There was air pocket below the tobacco and I should have poked some holes. So, I would like to hear from those who stir the tobacco on why and how.
in the last four years. I've done it three times. Two of those times where fold and stuff with flakes. The first was an early attempt at not rubbing out the flake. The last was with a flake that ended up mostly blocking the draft hole and was the last pipe I smoked (friday on the way home from work). The one other time was a bowl of cary grants and it just was an attempt to see if I could smoke all the dottle and it worked but you can see how happy I was by the results by the singular attempt. So it happens but I've accidentally sat on my testicles more times then I've stirred the bowl so....