PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Definitely trying to narrow it down but I have 2-3 for each genre that I'll be cellaring deep rather than wide.
The problem is the subcategories of each genre and time of day/Nic level.
I give in to the madness for quite a while about a lot of things before I settle down such as Tools, Skateboard Setups, and Chess Openings, and once settled it doesn't take much but a new product, Chess article, or this forum to stir it all up again.
I look forward to retirement from the Madness, living on a few acres, 1 for food, 1 for Tobacco, a drained pool to skate, and a wood shop to fiddle around, and NO INTERNET...

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
@SBC started a thread along these lines a few months ago that went to, ermm, interesting places. I love the idea of a go-to blend that pushes all the buttons and allows me to simplify my pipe-smoking life, but I don't know how one blend could do all the things I enjoy.

In fact, the few times I've tried to smoke a single blend for a stretch of time, it made me antsy!

jlopez

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2022
Southwest TX
I enjoy variety too much to only smoke one. That being said, I am trying to limit my amount of open tins to at least 1 of each English, VA, Burley, Aromatic, and Vaper or Vabur before I open another tin. Keyword: trying.

Reactions: yanoJL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm manic about variety in blends. However, as I have mentioned many times over the years on Forums, my dad, who smoked from about age 15 to 65, when he quit to take a job on a non-smoking campus, owned only one pipe at a time and smoked only Granger in the foil pouch.

BDIC

Might Stick Around
Feb 15, 2021
NY, Long Island
Interesting thread to say the least. I find myself going through phases where I smoke nothing but one or two blends, and then all of the sudden go through different blends every bowl. Currently it's Pegasus, OJK and Bayou Morning. Last week I was going through those, bullseye flake, English Oriental Supreme, Westminster and Gaslight.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I keep about 6 jars open at one time, 2 aromatics, 2 Virginia, and two English.
When it comes to aromatics I find myself primarily smoking C&D Autumn Evening.
If I could only smoke one that would be it,

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I wish I could narrow down to just a couple.
I probably have around 30+ open jars. I always want to try them all and feel like I'm missing out if I don't. More often than not, the new ones are, meh.
I like all of the genres and wish I could narrow down to one of each.
We truly have an embarrassment of riches compared to the pipemen of yore.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I started piping three months ago, and really was hoping to find one tobacco for daily use.
30 8oz jars with 1.5-3oz in each of all sorts of variety later, I’m pretty sure that’s not going to be the case-but I am narrowing down what I like.
40+ yrs of nicotine use, and all of that being a series of lengths of using the same thing years on end, did not prepare me for the modern piping world.
Switching from cigs to an electronic air fresher for primary nic delivery 5yrs back did surprise me when I found the flavor I could do all day, every day-because it was so far off from what I thought I would want.

I’m trying to give myself a break and find my groove piping, but I think there’s so many variables (mouth condition, pipe/blend complements, even environmental temp/humidity influences) that affect my enjoyment of the same blend from one smoke to another.
I’m definitely learning what the no-gos are for me (but even those will be kept to try later, so who am I kidding😆).