PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
I know Sir Brent pipes were basket pipes, but I don't know who made them. I bought mine in 1979. Can anybody help me out on this?
I chased every rabbit hole I could find and simply can't find anything on that brand. I found nothing on "Sir" Brent and only a few auction listings for "Lord" Brent. The listings had Italy as the origin but no other information on pipe maker. It is maddening to reach a dead end but I am at a loss here. I would LOVE to hear if you find a definitive answer!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Where did you buy it and do you have a picture?

I don't have a picture, but I will take one later this day. I got both from the Tinderbox in 1977 and 1978, respectively. As I recall, there were several others, but I got the only rusticated billiard (model number 253). The other is a smooth Danish style pipe with no number. Both are Italian briar. Both also have "Imported Briar" stamped on them, which made me think perhaps they were made for an American company.

Reactions: Dallas Wynn

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I cant find it in the Tinderbox catalogs. The rusticated one reminds me of a similar shaped Estella I have as far as stem and rustication. Looking back through the pipephil listings for savinelli. the boring or generic looking stamping of SIR BRENT, looks like the generic stamping Savinelli used for quite awhile. So that is my half ass educated guess.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I cant find it in the Tinderbox catalogs. The rusticated one reminds me of a similar shaped Estella I have as far as stem and rustication. Looking back through the pipephil listings for savinelli. the boring or generic looking stamping of SIR BRENT, looks like the generic stamping Savinelli used for quite awhile. So that is my half ass educated guess.
I appreciate your efforts. Funny how this brand escapes everybody who has looked for it.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Wow. I love a good mystery. I thought I found the answer, but, I noticed rusticated pipe has "IMPORTED BRIAR" on the stem and that wrecked my hunch. You know that stuff is rare. ? The game is afoot!

Cheers,

Chili

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Identifying basket pipes is rarely possible, unless it is a unique shape . There are some Kings Cross pipes from Sav that are marked Imported Briar, but not all of them. I think they were for the US mainly. But also two other companies made pipes with the Kings Cross name to further confuse. I would think that the shape of the smooth Sir Brent should be identifiable by a maker if I looked enough.

I can recognize a number of specific shapes from Weber, Charatan and Custombilt by rustication/shape.

The other thing I found is JimInks posts on about 6 different forums recording his pipe smoking back at least ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.