PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
This is a pretty tame forum compared to some of the hobby forums I frequent. It's funny how similar they all are though.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Yet, there are any number of people who seem inclined to do just that, most of them gone to the cornfield eventually.
hqdefault.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Not saying that the forum rules should be anything other than what they are. Rather, attempting to represent the attitude of those who run afoul of them.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I think my very first main board post was political.

Up til then I had been lurking. Then I read a thread that was getting out of control. Someone posted something obviously partisan and I copied and pasted the odious part of his post into the title of my new thread. I don't remember what all I posted, but essentially I asked the moderators to moderate that crap.

Somehow I survived that post and I'm still here.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Some of the oldtimers here remember a less civilized forum and have the stories to go with it. I like to think the pot stirrers aren't here long enough to get a 'record high', so hopefully that number would be pretty low.
The mods here do a great job IMHO.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I have absolutely no idea who this guy is, but this video belongs here. :rofl:
Stir the pot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLFYurQrSbE

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Here's a Zen riddle for you all: Is a thread about discussing politics in the forum itself a political thread?
The word "politics" has become just like the word "racism" anymore; it can mean anything, anywhere, anytime, to anyone who chooses to use it.
Really, aledecaker? Racism has a very clear, precise meaning. The OED one will suffice: "Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."
I think Cosmic makes a really good point about who "causes" threads to be shut down. The person who started it or those who react to it? I don't start political discussions but do react to them when my buttons are pushed, or when they're allowed to proceed against the rules. But you'll notice what a mild mannered fellow I am when not being wound up by certain troublemakers. :wink:
To answer the question, I'd guess perdurabo.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Lazar, you missed the point on the usage of "racism". Life isn't a definition in a book. That's why politics aren't allowed because invectives get carelessly tossed about like the five kids on the trampoline that gets jumped on by fat person.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Lazar, I'm sorry that I was not very clear. My point is that, yes, there is a definition of racism; the word is often misapplied in order to create a flashpoint where otherwise, none would exist.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
And off we go.
I said something controversial?
ashdigger, I just meant to point out that the word has a clear definition. When used outside that definition it is being misused. "Politics" is much more slippery, I think. I have no beef with aldecaker - he's a good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.