PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I bought a couple when I first started smoking in the early 90's, but I haven't smoked either for a long time. One is much larger than I prefer these days, and the other is probably still a little on the large side as well, now that I think of it. I think he'd just started making them around the time I bought them.

Reactions: seanv

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reading thru old editions of the NASPC newsletter (everyone here is a member, right?) David Jones used to be a real player in the artisan pipe world. I believe he stopped making pipes at some point, and went back to custom guitars. He passed away in 2021:
I bought one around 2012, there are a few old threads here.
In the early 2000's he made smooth pipes, but at some point moved to mostly rusticated, very large Pokers with acrylic stems.
Here is mine, it was simply too big and sold to a member here.
1706449095719.jpeg

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
Jones made some very attractive large pipes. He claimed to have a stash of well aged Greek briar.
His stems were typically, if not exclusively, acrylic. I owned kind of a large billiard/pot type shape which was nicely rusticated. I subsequently sold it as it was just too heavy for me. His airways were not as open as I usually prefer, however I never saw a Jones that was drilled poorly. I recall that he was a fan of Prince Albert and the Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My first thought was Davey Jones' Locker.... Life lost overboard at sea. Anyway, added the word pipe to prevent others from having lugubrious thoughts.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
His airways were not as open as I usually prefer, however I never saw a Jones that was drilled poorly. I recall that he was a fan of Prince Albert and the Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris.
It was back issues of the Ephermis were he was frequently discussed.
His tighter draw was something I mentioned here on a thread in 2012.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
All the info on his pipes listed here is correct from what I recall. I had two of them at one time, via trades, and passed them on. I recall a nice pipe for the money. I seem to recall the name Regency associated with him so maybe that will aid in the google world.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I bought one roughly 20 years ago, I think it was a bent billiard, smooth. It was nicely shaped and a good smoker. I probably smoked it for six or eight years. (I don’t know whether this happens to other smokers, but sometimes a pipe will, just somehow lose it. Has this happened to any of you out there? ) I no longer have it.