PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
A hand cut logo stem is time consuming to make and fit.

Someone who’s skills are in demand most likely has a backlog of work.

If you are willing to wait and spend the cash, then you’ll be pleased with the work.

I had my Seiko divers watch cleaned and timed several years ago by the guy who is the best in the business. Took a year to get it back, and the service was $500. But it was done right and I was pleased with it.

I gave it my brother last year. I’m downsizing in my old age…

Unfortunately my go to guy for stuff like that is no longer. I had some stems I wanted made too.

Reactions: fireground_piper

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
So, I have a beautiful Dunhill Shell from the 40's, but it needs a new stem. Who can make one, period correct with a dot on it? I know somebody that can make one, but only no dot. If so, can anyone help me with the dot. I know it's just a hole more or less with a plastic stick glued in it.
I've sent a few Dunhill pipes back to the factory in England and had them make the replacement stems for me. I wanted Dunhill to make the stems and they did a fantastic job on all three pipes I've sent them. Paid by wire bank transfer. Not cheap, but pleasant experience.

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Howdy.

Sorry I missed the party.

1940s Dunhills are scarce. I'd recommend either doing it right or selling the pipe to a hardcore collector who will.

If it has already been re-stemmed, there could be a lot of "gotcha!" work hiding in the bushes.

Put another way, pics or it didn't happen. :)

Reactions: Bbailey324

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Howdy.

Sorry I missed the party.

1940s Dunhills are scarce. I'd recommend either doing it right or selling the pipe to a hardcore collector who will.

If it has already been re-stemmed, there could be a lot of "gotcha!" work hiding in the bushes.

Put another way, pics or it didn't happen. :)
Pm sent.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcghost

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
George does my repairs and his stem work is as good as it gets.
The difference between a stem made by George and just about everybody else is that George’s result will be the most perfectly made example with the finest quality material.
You might pay more than some alternatives but the quality will be the best value.