PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Do Venturi pipes smoke as hot as the Brylon? I oddly like the look of the light green ones...sort of that mint green 50s kitchen look.

My first pipe was The Pipe in a red pot shape. It smoked so hot that I was ready to quit but my father saw the pipe and said that if I was going to smoke a pipe I should get a real pipe. He brought me to his tobacconist and got me a bent briar and some Latakia blends. The Pipe was never smoked again.

Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I never bought a Brylon pipe. I guess I was forewarned. Even at the price, fifteen or twenty bucks, I figured it would take up drawer space. However, if you are stuck with a Brylon, since you can't sell it for much more than three dollars online, I'd save it as a curiosity and smoke it once a year, on April Fool's Day.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I bought a "Le Pipe" or "The Pipe" whatever it was when I was wet behind the ears, and not only did it smoke hot, it never gained an ounce of personality. I "lost" it somehow.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I think some of the people here who are down on The Pipe are confusing correlation with cause and effect.

If the very first pipe you smoked was The Pipe, and it smoked hot, maybe it wasn't the pipe's fault?

If my first pipe had been an S. Bang, I could live out my days convinced that S. Bangs smoke hot and wet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If Russ O.'s first pipe was The Pipe, there must be something there. Maybe the greats start by learning what not to do.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think some of the people here who are down on The Pipe are confusing correlation with cause and effect.
If the very first pipe you smoked was The Pipe, and it smoked hot, maybe it wasn't the pipe's fault?
If my first pipe had been an S. Bang, I could live out my days convinced that S. Bangs smoke hot and wet.
I'm sure you'd have learned that S Bang pipes are A- OK! If you like The Pipe, fine. (Do you?)

But it smokes hot and I hated it. Any pipe can, of course, be smoked hot.

Reactions: anotherbob

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I've got a The Pipe I use as a taster. Nothing will ghost it. You can even run it thru the dishwasher! (if you were so inclined). The bowl is some high tech coated aluminum.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
From sheer curiosity, I bought a Brylon estate pipe off eBay. With shipping, it cost me less than $25.00 total.

The pipe was in relatively good condition, with minor surface scuffs, and a few scratches. Since the pipe itself was made from a molded, phenolic-like plastic, (not ceramic) sandpaper and some minor buffing restored the pipe into what it was when brand new. I must say the quality control an inspection process must have been excellent. Even under close examination, my Brylon pipe showed little evidence of any parting line where the two halves of the mold came together. Incredible. Today, pick up any molded object and you can see the evidence, and parting lines.... left by the mold.

I loaded my pipe and smoked it like I smoke all my other pipes. The pipe got too hot to hold, and it wasare too heavy to clench. I found myself holding the pipe like as I would a cigarette holder....or a cigar. The pipe also instantly gurgled, and smoked "wet". I'm a careful smoker and I'm mindful NOT to allow saliva to accumulate in my mouth, nor do I allow saliva to go down into my pipe stems. The button, while in my mouth, is in the empty mouth cavity and does not touch saliva. I am also not a clencher -so the pipe is out of my mouth most of the time.

My verdict:
Brylon smokes wet. Wet, and hot. Brylon is heavy. Brylon can be washed, sanded, polished, buffed, like any other inert plastic/phenolic material. Brylon has no chemical or plastic taste that I could dectect, and the Brylon material itself, will not affect tobacco flavors. Comparing it to a gifted corn-cob pipe that I ONCE, and only once, smoked, it has none of the disgusting plastic/shellac aftertaste. That gifted cob went right into the garbage where it belonged....my restored, polished, Brylon-estate- eventually followed the same route. Neither, in my opinion were worth the efforts to unlock their secret virtues. I have smoked Olive wood, Rosewood, and pipes made from Ebony and Bocote. All heavier and more dense than briar, and all smoked just as good. Out of all of them, Brylon was the only pipe that became too hot to hold, and smoked annoyingly wet.

Brylon pipes are cheap. If curious, spend a few bucks and try one out. If you hate it, give it to your enemy.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.