PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I believe Brylon was discontinued in production fairly recently like maybe 2018. After I wrote this original post, I believe I read a history of Brylon that said it was introduced in the 1960's, not the fifties. Online retailers that used to offer them no longer have them in inventory, though perhaps they pop up from time to time. I think Dr. Grabow still sells The Pipe, which is a synthetic but not Brylon, if I have it right.

I had two The Pipes when I was in college & din't know no better. The only thing I'd use those for now would be to test out blowtorches. Not even the "boat anchor" option any more. I have never in my life had to puff a Brylon, & absent the influence of Satan I never will!

Bill

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks to Russ and weezell for clarifying the source and demise of The Pipe. I think I saw it on the rack packaged in plastic with Dr. Grabow's and jumped to the conclusion that it was made by Grabow.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
LOL no, it was directed at brylon pipes. I’ve never had the pleasure of smoking any of the Esoterica blends. I’m going to remember what you’ve said.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
LOL no, it was directed at brylon pipes. I’ve never had the pleasure of smoking any of the Esoterica blends. I’m going to remember what you’ve said.
I was funnin' ya. Esoterica makes some really good blends. I just like jerking the chains of its hardcore fans.?

Reactions: BROBS

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
To the best of my knowledge, that's the end of them unless Bill can find a new company to do the casting.

Russ

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Well, I took the plunge to satisfy my curiosity and scored a nice brylon (Yellow Bole) off the 'bay. After extensive cleaning, which included chipping old cake and some of the Yellow Bole inner lining out of the bowl, I've smoked one bowl of John Bull in it to try it out. Yep, it smokes a bit hot, so smoking slowly is a must. It also seemed to goop up a bit more than a briar, but I solved that issue by blasting hot water from the bathroom faucet through it afterward, with no fears of how it might affect the wood or finish. Overall smoking rating: 7 out of 10 with proper technique. I am still fascinated by the relative indestructibility of the thing combined with the look of a nice briar until one looks closely. More fun to come!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For most of us, they're just not as fun as a briar, cob, meer or whatever else, so it's not worth the time. I think Brylon has been discontinued in production, but I think it is likely stray boxes of unsmoked Brylon pipes will surface from time to time, and they'll appear on the market. My advice: Don't.

Jan 27, 2020
Do Venturi pipes smoke as hot as the Brylon? I oddly like the look of the light green ones...sort of that mint green 50s kitchen look.

Status
Not open for further replies.