PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Another question for no cake guys, do you dedicate your pipes. I have never had a cake that tasted like ash or fell apart. The cake on my pipes is rock hard due to the blends I smoke. I have always dedicated my pipes since the beginning. I have no idea who told me, but I know it was not pipestud as he knows squat. I never deal with ghosting because I dedicate. The only time I dealt with a ghost was when I smoked a Lakeland blend, afer only one bowl, the pipe was shot.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yes, I dedicate (more or less). I have one that I reserve for the occasional aromatic, several for Lat-heavies, and several for Va/VaPer/VaBur. That being said, I will smoke PA/CH/ERR in any of them.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Yes I dedicate. Different pipes for Va, VaPer, VaBur and Lats. I don't really smoke aro's so don't have any pipes for those. Though I do like J.F.Germain's Rich Dark Flake which is one I suppose. That gets smoked in my VaBur pipes.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I have no idea who told me, but I know it was not pipestud as he knows squat. - cgarmaster
I know that I don't know squat (about much of anything) but at least give me credit for acting like I do. 8)
Squatstud

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I dedicate in a general way. I have pipes for Latakia blends, Va's and VaPers.
Sometimes though, its nice to smoke a Va or Vaper in a Latakia bowl....adds a little something. But never the other way around.
I let the pipe tell me what it wants. When I get a new one i go through a set list of tobaccos. It takes about two weeks usually, then I know what the pipe wants.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
From my experience, too much cake makes the bowl smaller which makes my smoke shorter which irritates me. (lol) Do folks who intentionally keep their pipes "cakeless" worry about burn out? I think it would be in the back of my mind. Oh and, of course, no cake in the one meer I have. It's a meerqueen falcon bowl. It gets the treatment after every smoke/cool off.
Mike S.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
The only time I wipe out a bowl after a smoke is if the smoke was too wet after smoking. As a result, I usually allow the cake to form on its own and at its own rate. When I find the heel getting too tight I use one of those reamers that have the small spikes on them. This seems to keep the cake just right for me and in nearly 40 years of puffing I only had one burn out. It was a brand new Savinelli Bing's Favorite. Burned out after three smokes so may have been a defective bowl. This was 20 years ago or so and it was replaced by the local tobacconist at the time no questions asked.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Very thin cake here and I wipe out the bowl with a folded cleaner after every smoke.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I don't mind a little carbon build up as it's just the buy product of smoking a pipe. If I had a preference I'd wipe my pipes out after every bowl, but I'm just too lazy to go through all the trouble. I think many new pipers are overly concerned with building cake on a pipe. I've seen so many posts on how to build cake, and why I can't build cake very well with _______ type of blend.
Just fill it and smoke it. If it carbon builds up, ream it back repeat. No need to break out the micrometers either.

Mar 1, 2014
On my last two pipes I put a few layers of honey on the bowl. I think I've done a couple of pipes without doing anything special, but on these thin wall custom overbore pipes I'm trying to be extra cautious.

If it has a coating from the factory I don't give it a second thought.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
After each smoke I clean my pipes with a pipe cleaner. I don't mind some cake, but I don't let it build up to much. If I get to much cake built up then I just take my old knife or my reaming tool and clean some cake out. The only pipe I don't let cake build up in is my meerschaum pipes as you're not suppose to let cake build up in meerschaum pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I know that I don't know squat (about much of anything) but at least give me credit for acting like I do
Steve, I give you a ton of credit for fooling the masses. Who would have thunk, you have become the maven for aged tobacco, especially since all you smoke is Royal Yuck. Bravissimo.
Looks like we have more cake builders than no cake builders. So what do the cake builders win, a cooler more flavorful smoke especially when we dedicate said caked pipes. So once again I have proven a scientific fact, we can have our cake and eat it to.
Are you impressed yet? :clap:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I don't know, Harris. According to majority rules, Lanes 1Q is the best pipe tobacco available in the US. :rofl:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I thought they were the same thing? Oh well, I admire your dedication to cellaring, as well as your devil-may-care attitude towards tongue safety!

Status
Not open for further replies.