Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great read! I am just now catching this thread. You did a great job.

When I first started reading this, I was going to suggest that since it had a tube down the draft and that wide band, that it was probably a repaired pipe. But, apparently not. It fascinates me that they were putting tubes down the draft at that time.

Also, I ask only because I just have to know... if you were going to scrape the bowl down to bare wood, why did you do a salt and alcohol soak? Wouldn't just scraping the bowl back to wood remove... everything that could cause a bad taste?

Once again, great job! That's a beauty!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
if you were going to scrape the bowl down to bare wood, why did you do a salt and alcohol soak? Wouldn't just scraping the bowl back to wood remove... everything that could cause a bad taste?
I'm not answering for Mike , but I do the same. I have reamed a few bowls where I hit wood near the top and not down at the bottom near the draft hole. Also, when I do a salt/alcohol treatment, I also do the shank.

I'm certainly no expert at cleaning/restoring pipes...far from it. May be I'm doing it all wrong.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Looks good Mike. ?

Thanks Scott

Also, I ask only because I just have to know... if you were going to scrape the bowl down to bare wood, why did you do a salt and alcohol soak? Wouldn't just scraping the bowl back to wood remove... everything that could cause a bad taste?

I can see how in that last picture it looks like I reamed the bowl down quite a bit. I actually didn't at all. This pipe was very lightly smoked and there wasn't much to remove. I find the alcohol/salt gets rid of a lot of grime I side the bowl in addition to leaching flavours out of the briar. I did the coffee grounds to get rid of lingering odours.
Also, when I do a salt/alcohol treatment, I also do the shank

Same here Scott, I try to get all the salt and alcohol as much in the pipe as I can. Same with the coffee grounds too.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.