PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthoz

Lurker
Oct 5, 2018
Just made a happy discovery today. I bought a box of whiteboard chalk for the purpose to make a bottom lining for my work pipe box to keep the pipes dry since it's the wet rainy season here. Then after doing some reading, found online somewhere mentioning that chalk clay is used as pipe filter...that lights up a bulb over my head.
So I cut a piece of chalk about the size of my fingernail and drop it to the bottom of my pipe bowl and pack it...with Mac Baren Vanilla Cream. The draw is a bit tight but I puff it non-stop. NO TONGUE BITE AT ALL. Though not sure if the chalk dust could be a health hazard or might affect the flavour. But it's a good practice for beginners as tongue bite is our main problem.
However without fear of tongue bite...we might start getting a lot of people with pipe burn out problems. Something I too need to be careful with since I'm using a naked corn cob pipe.
So, what's everyone take on this? Is it safe to practice placing a piece of chalk at the bottom of the pipe as filter?

I am having tons of problems understanding you...

I have heard of blackboard chalk, but I have no idea what whiteboard chalk is. And, if it is a piece of something that makes a black mark on a white surface, how can you use it to line a box? Do you coat the surface of it? And, how does it keep something dry? Do you coat it heavily with black chalk? Does MacBarens Vanilla Cream usually bite you?
I am guessing that there is either a language problem, or else you are talking about something that I have just never heard of. Or, maybe it is just me. :puffy:

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I guess he means chaulk .
But , anyhoo , why not , it could make a good filter or dessicant . No health concerns I’m aware of.

arthoz

Lurker
Oct 5, 2018
Whoops...sorry...it's blackboard chalk. Slip of mind, we've been using whiteboard all the time at work so it's just being muddle together in my brain to translate into english. It's the piece of chalk for writing on board at school. I used it to keep my tools from rusting and now lined it under the bottom plate in my pipe box to keep them dry.
Was reading about clay chalk filter so I give it a go dropping one to the bottom of my pipe above the hole and pack over it. Sort of like a filter in place where dottle usually accumulate at the bottom. So far so good but being my palate is still new, not sure if it will change the tobacco taste.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Sounds like a plan , I sometimes use a couple pieces of denicotea in the bottom of the bowl , it’s a silica , probably same thing as crystal kitty litter
After smoking its yellowed and looks like it absorbed moisture .
Wondering if a small bit of rock salt would work ..

I used it to keep my tools from rusting and now lined it under the bottom plate in my pipe box to keep them dry.

That is useful to know. Thanks!!

I am not a filter user, but I guess the idea is to remove some of the moisture before the smoke gets to your mouth, like a Savinelli filter. Not so much a filter of tars or flavors.
I have no idea if it could lead to a burnout, but it would be advisable to remind yourself to keep it slow.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Hello Arthoz,
Using chalk as a filter is not a novel approach...in fact, it's already a commercially available alternative.
Called the "Sharrow Philtpads Chalk Filters." Looks like chalk compressed and shaped to fit in the bottom of the bowl. The tobacco rests on the chalk filter.
I have no connection to the brand, nor have I tried the product. You can find several references to the product if you Google "Sharrow Philtpads,"...also some videos on YouTube.
Best to you,

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I think chalk is also used as an additive in some baking wheat flours , cake flour .
It helps keep the flour from clumping , so not a health risk I think .

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Cake flour , specifically , its milled finer . Not ordinary all purpose flour .
Cornstarch and powdered sugar is mixed to create icing sugar , the cornstarch acts as a thickener .

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I thought you were all crazy, but apparently chalk was being added to almost all flour in Britain. But not for the reasons here. It was a calcium supplement. Sorry, carbonate in flour is not a good way to increase calcium absorbed by the body. The UK requires white flour to be fortified with chalk. Huh.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Yah , the body has a hard time absorbing calcium bound to carbonate , pretty much like trying to digest oyster shells .
You can however get lots of calcium bound to gluconate , ie from veggies.
Look on your box of salt in the cupboard , betcha it lists sugar as an ingredient ..

Status
Not open for further replies.