PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some of my collection. Need to get a display cabinet for all of it.
img_20170723_190705-337x600.jpg

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Nice, I'm feeling outclassed here, I just face lather some mitchell's wool fat soap and carve away with a shitty entry level dorco. Nicer than a cartridge razor though. Oh and the lucky tiger AS isn't too bad either.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I have a '21-'28 OLD type open comb and a 1940 tech. Both are a little aggressive for me, i'm currently using an adjustable dialed down pretty low. :) Collecting is pretty fun, and razors are WAY easier to restore than pipes, lol.
o8wg0j.jpg

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I've only one DE, an Edwin Jagger de89, but I've been tempted to pick up a nice Fatboy. That can become a whole new obsession though. If you are a wet shaver you may want to look at Georgetown pottery. They make fantastic scuttles.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
With the Futur I shave on 3.5 but if you don't turn it to 1 when you finished over time the head distorts and the razor is no longer true.

I had one which distorted and it was higher on one side than the other.

My new one I rinse then wind back to 1.

Just be careful.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Agreed on the Merkur. I changed over from disposables a few years ago and I'm a fan. My son soon followed suit. I don't like the twist open variety as much as they seem to have less solid lock up than the two-piece sort.
I can see how they'd have collector appeal, albeit that's not my thing in this case. But yes, a better, cheaper shave for sure. Plus the appeal of something a little old-fashioned, and the satisfaction of something NOT disposable.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
I started using straight razors 5years ago. I use them every time. They have become second nature for me, even the maintaince and keeping them sharp. Nothing compares to the shave you get and the comfort (and the simplicity). Do use a DE when traveling.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
DE razors... They call to me like camera gear, tools, pipes, aftershaves, shave soap, Allen Edmonds, vintage Russian watches, C&R firearms.... The latest obsession is vintage full bottles of avon aftershave.
I started the DE to save money on ridiculous mach three razors. It worked. A 100 pack of blades is cheap. But one DE is not enough. One shave soap does not suffice. Shave soap and aftershave is like pipe tobacco. Can't just have one scent or varietal. So I have not saved a dime with the DE but it is enjoyable and one more indication that progress is not necessarily better or even necessary. My next acquisition will be a 1959 Fatboy and it will work as well as the day it was produced. No one, no one, will be buying and using mach three razors from today in 2075. It makes me wonder what year of car will be the last one people will collect.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Oh my! I have been an evangelist for safety razors and DE blades for years! I only have the one though: Merkur 38C. I use Derby blades and shaving cream from a tube which I apply with a silver-tip badger brush my wife bought me in Venice about 15 years ago.
I would never go back to over-priced cartridge razors.
Mike

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I started using a safety razor about 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Closer shave, more economical and it takes a mundane activity and makes it a sort of ritual.
I have an Edwin Jagger Chrome and use Feather Stainless blades. Shave soap is handmade puck from a local soap store, applied with a beautiful beaver hair brush I got for Christmas last year.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Are these practical if you only shave your neck? I imagine safety razors work great when you have a wide swath to cut through but they look like keeping a beard edge cleaning might be tricky.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Are these practical if you only shave your neck? I imagine safety razors work great when you have a wide swath to cut through but they look like keeping a beard edge cleaning might be tricky.
I actually find that they are easier to come right up to the line with than other methods(aside from a straight razor), due to the blade being at the very edge of the razor. No lube strips or useless little rubber flap things before the blades. :D Open comb DE razors come up a little closer even.

My wife thought I was crazy for a long time, as I am always on a tireless quest to obtain various vintage DE razors. But, she is cool with it now after I let her have my travel sized Gillette Tech and she realized how great it was.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I purchased an inexpensive safety razor a month ago. And then decided I was attempting growing my beard out instead. But when that day comes, I'll be ready to use it. Do they work ok for someone like me that shaves dry? Or will I have to start using cream?

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Shaves dry... you have a leather face? OMG... I at least slather a bit of hand soap on, if I am too lazy to use the cup and brush. Of course, I only shave the edges every month or so. Now momma wants me to play Santa, so the white beard needs to grow until after Christmas. Sigh...
Oh, I use the Israeli blades, like these (ebay pic)
s-l400.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.