PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I have a Peterson Ashford pipe. It seems to have a lot of white streaks on the briar. Maybe it might have been me when I got a bit of alcohol on the outside while cleaning, but I can't get it off. I have a Dunhill Pipe Cloth and it doesn't seem to help. I was going to get a briar polish to see if that would work. But I'm looking for ideas on what those streaks are and how to get them off.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The alcohol probably stripped the carnuba. May need a buffer to fix the streaks.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I have a Dremmel with a flex shaft - any idea what type of wheel to use and speed? Would I then apply another coat of wax?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
With a Dremmel I would use the felt disc on the lowest speed. May be able to buff the streaks back into a shine. Only use the edge of the wheel though, as that screw in the center of it can cause some major damage.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You may be able to buff the white streaks back over the exposed spots they came from. If not, reapply carnuba.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Just take your time when applying, and should do a great job! Did all of mine with a Dremmel before getting a bench buffer, and Dremmels are definitely the next best thing. :wink:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I would put the Dremmel in the vice, and just touch the stem to the felt wheel with as little pressure as possible, and the Dremmel on the lowest speed. Brebbia's stem polish is great to use this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.