PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Again, I'm not a big whisky guy, but since most whiskey is strenuously blended, dressing it up with other alcoholic beverages and other cocktail ingredients seems like a waste of money. If you want to concoct fancy cocktails, maybe vodka, rum, tequila, and such are a better starting place, but maybe not all together. A good single malt Scotch is desecrated by mixing, to me.
A lot of purists in the house. I like it!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Whisky - neat
Bourbon - neat
??
if you need to mix it - grow a pair! ???
If I find out after trying it that I "need" to I may need to grow a pair to come back and admit it, haha.

Found some club soda that is low sodium and will give this a whirl tonight as far as the mixing and tasting - can't hurt to try it once. If I'd never got talked into a shot of cheap Mezcal once upon a time I wouldn't have found out what drinking kerosene must taste like!

Hope to be somewhere tomorrow where I might have access to a wider range of Irish whiskey than here so will be studying over the suggestions this evening - I suppose if I'm looking at Irish Whiskey I should pull out a Peterson!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Well …….. it looked pretty!

Taste of the scotch comes through but it’s like I’m drinking a glass of iced tea with bubbles but I’m not.

If I loved it I’d say so but I don’t. Wife liked it better but she’s a gin and tonic fan. I could drink it but wouldn’t choose to again. At least I’ve got club soda in case I stain something.

I’m a little disappointed but I know I like sipping scotch and that’s how you’ll find me.

Now back to the Irish research!
5297DB24-51D7-4001-B641-A6EBED9994E3.jpeg

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
It seems to be a strong stance against adding anything to one’s whisk(e)y. My observation, after working for over 2 decades with fine spirits and wine, is that most master blenders and distillers (some with massive experience and responsibilities in the industry) add at least a little still water to their whiskies. Especially if they are high in proof or cask strength.
However, I believe that one can do as it pleases with one’s beverage.

I enjoy my alcohol diluted and mostly drink single malts. I would often take a sip or two neat before adding a couple of tablespoons of water (Maybe more for an Islay / Bourbon and less for a highland)

I have not tasted whisky and soda for a very long time : But it really brought out flavors from a cheap whisky like Johnny Walker red.

My suggestion would be use still water for premium scotch/bourbon and natural sparkling water for blended scotch/ cheaper scotch

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Well …….. it looked pretty!

Taste of the scotch comes through but it’s like I’m drinking a glass of iced tea with bubbles but I’m not.

If I loved it I’d say so but I don’t. Wife liked it better but she’s a gin and tonic fan. I could drink it but wouldn’t choose to again. At least I’ve got club soda in case I stain something.

I’m a little disappointed but I know I like sipping scotch and that’s how you’ll find me.

Now back to the Irish research!
View attachment 127626
Thanks for taking one for the team. You’re a better man than me.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
If mixing, I enjoy bourbon or whiskey with Dr. Pepper (diet) or diet cola. Believe it or not, bourbon and Mountain Dew isn't too bad.

Also, a boilermaker (whiskey in beer) is a blue collar drink for a blue collar day.

A black tooth grin gets the job done (whiskey with a splash of cola) and a 7&7 is a classic combination of whiskey and lemon-lime soda.

Whiskey and ginger ale (Vernors only, please) is also a classic.

keithnelmr

Lurker
Feb 19, 2022
I enjoy very much the occasional single malt whisky. Also enjoy the Red Breast Irish whiskey that is slowly disappearing.

Two things, if anyone wants to share:

1. Although I usually enjoy it straight or with a bit of water, just depends (and nothing scientific, lol), I've honestly never had it with soda and figuring I should try that and so my question is what is your favorite carbonated mixer of choice? Is the sodium in club soda really a flavor killer (yep, reading too much on the internet)? Is something other than club soda a better alternative for taste and carbonation? Favorite "recipe"? :)

2. I'm looking to try some Irish Whiskies like they have Fat Baby Bourbon and any recommendations would be very welcome.

Thanks!!
Hello. I've been drinking more whisky than beer recently and like smooth whisky's on the rocks. I'm a fan of Jameson but figure I'm helping pay their marketing dollars and am looking to try something new. Any recommendations for something that's about $1 or less per ounce?

Reactions: JOHN72 and Laurent

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Everything with Diet Pepsi. Single malt, just a drop of spring water. Don't drink neat anymore. I can't sip alcoholic beverages, so it ends up being taking shots till passing out. Irish whiskey. Bushmills. You really don't need anything else. Good as a shot, and also with Diet Pepsi. I would rather drink Beast again then mix anything with soda.

Reactions: JOHN72

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Hello. I've been drinking more whisky than beer recently and like smooth whisky's on the rocks. I'm a fan of Jameson but figure I'm helping pay their marketing dollars and am looking to try something new. Any recommendations for something that's about $1 or less per ounce?
Can’t go wrong with old forester. Evan Williams bottled and bond, buffalo trace, four roses, benchmark bottled and bond, and my go to old grand-dad bottled and bond.

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
I almost exclusively drink Irish Whiskey and Red Breast is one of my favorites...
Powers Gold Label is my general, go to whiskey.
The Sexton is a relatively new, and smooth single-malt.
If I can't find my usual, I keep Teeling's & Tullamore D.E.W. on hand
I pull out Tyrconnell on special occasions.
Green Spot is pretty good, especially for someone who drinks on ice.

Sláinte!
Great recommendations.

I would also add Knappogue Castle 12 and Jameson Black Barrell or Stout as all solid $30-40 bottles in my area.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
What a jackass.

Resurrects an old thread, quotes my post (this one won't pick that up, but look above) and inserts a cheap link. Took the time to look and that's all that this idiotic poster ever does - quotes a post, inserts stupid spam and/or scam links for products into the quoted post.

So glad I have a life! I think I'll have a dram.

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
What a jackass.

Resurrects an old thread, quotes my post (this one won't pick that up, but look above) and inserts a cheap link. Took the time to look and that's all that this idiotic poster ever does - quotes a post, inserts stupid spam and/or scam links for products into the quoted post.

So glad I have a life! I think I'll have a dram.
👍👍👍🤟☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️