Which Phoenix/Scottsdale B&Ms are worth visiting?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
This weekend I'll be visiting my parents in Scottsdale, Arizona, and hope to be able to visit a B&M in the NE Phoenix area. If I was only going to hit one, which shop has the most interesting and unique selection of pipes and tobacco?
- Ye Old Tobacco Shoppe

- Stag Tobacconist (if so, which location?)

- Ford & Haig

- Tinder Box 370, Mesa
Ideally a winning shop for me will have great prices and exclusive pipes and tobacco blend I can't find online.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Avoid Hilands. Owner Scott doesn't practice giving refunds for merchandise different from as advertised, returned to him. I don't think he gives a sh*t about pipe customers as his business is cigars.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hilands wasn't even on my radar, and after doing minimal research on them I found other reasons to avoid them as well. Thanks for the heads-up.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
IMO Ye Olde is as good as it gets for pipes in PHX and is one of the best pipe shops that I've been to in the country. The lounge is dated (at least as of last winter),in need of major update and is pretty low rent compared to a great modern cigar lounge but there is a guy Gary who seems to live there that is a nice guy to visit with. They don't have any exclusive blends other than the usual bulks and the tins are average B&M prices but they have a great selection of pipes including Castello and Dunhill. They have a informal pipe club that meets on Thursday nights.

I always have fond memories of their old shop, One day many years ago on a winter holiday vaction to Scottsdale I dropped my then only Dunhill pipe lighter in the lounge. I didn't notice it was gone for a few hours but when I called they said a guy turned it in and it was waiting for me. I always appreiated that and it taught me not to travel with my good lighters.
I bought my first "good" pipe at the Tinder Box in Mesa when it was still in the mall and I haven't been to the mall ring store in many years.
I'll be spending some time in Mesa an Saturday afternoon with the Arizona Pipe Club. 8O
Oh yeah Ford&Haig doesn't have much if any pipe stuff but it's a friendly cigar shop that is in a unique shopping area for the Mrs.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
I was at Ford and Haig a year ago and the owner was in the process of retiring/selling the shop. I read that they have reopened under new ownership as Ford's on Fifth. I think they've got more pipe stuff now, from what I've gathered online anyways. It was a really neat little shop with a lot of history. Quite a few celebrity customers over the years. There was a story about them on azcentral.com a while back.

I hope to make it to Ye Olde next time I'm down there. I've heard much good about them.

Hope you have a great trip!

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Daveinlax said it. Ye olde is nice and while not in scottsdale the metro center location is nice as well.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Since I posted in this thread I've been up to PHX twice and spent about 7 hour split between two great cigar shops/lounges. Saturday I spent a great afternoon with the AZPC hosted by Trailboss and John_R at Big Sticks in Mesa. A very friendly comfortable lounge with a well stocked pipe dept. They had my favorite tinned tobacco along with many others. A nice group of pipes and well stocked humidor and full bar! I plan on attending the January 13th meeting.

On Wednesday mrslax flew in late so I spent the evening waiting at Fox Cigar Lounge in Scottsdale. I have a feeling parking might be an issue at times but I parked right outside the velvet rope, red carpet entrance that takes you into the large horseshoe bar backed by a wall of top shelf but well priced whiskey/whisky's. The humidor was well stocked but like Big Sticks not as good as Ye Olde's. I was smoking cigars but there was a guy smoking a pipe and a grape aro. The lounge is one big room split between high tops and big leather chairs. I wasn't a stranger long and had a fun easy going visit with the guys around me. I have another late night arrival on the 9th and I plan on spending the evening waiting there again! 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.