PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Sometime today after chores I’ll be celebrating my father by smoking one of his pipes.
I usually do one of the Stanwells or Royal Danish (the four on the right bottom row) when I’m thinking of him.
One thing about my dad, he was often concerned with impressing others (part of being a self made success), and in that vein I thought I would toss it out to the peanut galley:
Which pipe do you find the most “impressive”?IMG_0989.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
On the top tier, third over, the one that looks like a fumed rim, looks impressive.
Looks like a Nording Nord Coat. Those were Nording's lowest tier pipes that he created a gimmick to sell. I got a case full of unsmoked ones a while back for pennies.

Which pipe do you find the most “impressive”?
I'd go with the freehand on the briar stand.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Looks like a Nording Nord Coat. Those were Nording's lowest tier pipes that he created a gimmick to sell. I got a case full of unsmoked ones a while back for pennies.

I'd go with the freehand on the briar stand.
The billiard-ish Nordcoat inthat set you got is still the coolest Nordcoat I’ve seen.
The freehand would be the the one I’d pick to be up your alley-it’s a Sven Lar 1FS I rarely smoke because it’s conical bowl can swallow my thumb to my palm😆
The angle of the photo doesn’t do its scale justice….

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The billiard-ish Nordcoat inthat set you got is still the coolest Nordcoat I’ve seen.
The freehand would be the the one I’d pick to be up your alley-it’s a Sven Lar 1FS I rarely smoke because it’s conical bowl can swallow my thumb to my palm😆
The angle of the photo doesn’t do its scale justice….
Pricing aside, they're my favorite pipes that I've ever seen Nording produce. Why he'd consider them as lowly as he did baffles me.

Those big pipes are good for allowing wet blends to breathe while smoking.

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Those are all nice looking pipes that look well-smoked and cared for. Great way to honor your father. Any would be a fine choice. Tell us what tobacco you used. Great post!

Reactions: Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Bottom tier, dead center (is it Stanwell Vario?)
That and the one to its left are both Royal Danish (Stanwell sub-brands), a 924M volcano and a 988 billiard respectively. The two to their right are reg’d Stanwells, far right a 90 tomato and second from end a 70 volcano.
Other pipes are: far left bottom is a Iwan Ries (by Bari) 26 apple, top from right to left are a no-name “Made in Denmark” brandy (probably a basket pipe from Iwan Ries), a Nordcoat freehand sitter, a mystery freehand plateau pickaxe, and a Missouri Meerschaum Freehand.
As mentioned above, the large freehand is a Sven Lar 1FS with briar stand and tamper.

All of these were picked up by my dad late sixties-early seventies.

• Love
Reactions: dingdong

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Those are all nice looking pipes that look well-smoked and cared for. Great way to honor your father. Any would be a fine choice. Tell us what tobacco you used. Great post!
Thank you, I was blessed to have had them handed down while he’s still with us, or they may have been lost to time if he passed-I found them in his garage while on a visit and they’d been unsmoked since probably the late seventies/early eighties.
I had 1792 DKF in the Royal Danish 924M volcano, and Dark BirdsEye in the Nordcoat sitter.
May have another before bed, but time is getting away from me quickly this evening.

Reactions: Joe H

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
That and the one to its left are both Royal Danish (Stanwell sub-brands), a 924M volcano and a 988 billiard respectively. The two to their right are reg’d Stanwells, far right a 90 tomato and second from end a 70 volcano.
Other pipes are: far left bottom is a Iwan Ries (by Bari) 26 apple, top from right to left are a no-name “Made in Denmark” brandy (probably a basket pipe from Iwan Ries), a Nordcoat freehand sitter, a mystery freehand plateau pickaxe, and a Missouri Meerschaum Freehand.
As mentioned above, the large freehand is a Sven Lar 1FS with briar stand and tamper.

All of these were picked up by my dad late sixties-early seventies.
All very nice Danes there puffy puffy puffy you must have had an epic Dad salutes to him !!! any one pipe is qualified :col:

Reactions: Sobrbiker