PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Woodsman

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2022
This is such a great forum, having access to so many experienced smokers advice is fantastic!
So, my question...I was weaned on Hogarth's Aromatic tobaccos, I still love the Coffee Caramel as a go-to for some quiet time with my pipe. However, I recently read that Mr. Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull) preferred Peterson's My Mixture 965 - so I bought some and have been surprised that despite it not being aromatic (correct me if I am wrong!) I did enjoy it.

My question is, what blend would you recommend as a relatively safe step moving on from the very aromatic blends?

Thanks

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Latakia blends if going for more of a campfire flavor.

Otherwise, University Flake and Vanilla Roll Cake are tobacco forward with a fruity and vanilla topping, respectively. Autumn Evening, which has a maple flavor, may also be what you are looking for.

Reactions: Old_Woodsman

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
My question is, what blend would you recommend as a relatively safe step moving on from the very aromatic blends?

Thanks
Safe step? Hmmmm? My reply is something with genuine tobacco sweetness that you cannot get from an aromatic.

There are many but my suggestion is a real sleeper from C&D called Winchester. There’s no topping, doesn’t need any, nor is there any Perique or Latakia. Just an explosion of flavor all from leaf.

HH Acadian Perique, if you can find it, is another all natural blend full of real tobacco flavor. Light on Perique even though it’s in the name.

For a pure Burley give Crooner a shot. Again, nothing unnatural added but an herb, Deer tongue. Delicious and high in vitamin N.

There are many, many flavors to be discovered that will knock your socks off, without having to spray artificial anything onto the leaf.

Give the vanilla and peanut butter and raspberry and sugar cookies and chocolate cherries a rest. You may discover an entire world outside of aromatics.

Step away from the Latakia blends too, just to venture into some unfamiliar territory. Maybe even pure VA or a Red Virginia. You never know what avenues will open.

Good luck!

BTW, I smoke burley scraps. 😎

Last edited:

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
The only currently available blend I buy by the pound which has Latakia included but doesn’t stink up the room is Revelation match.

Revelation was an OTC blend with burley, Virginia, Latakia, Perique, and orientals, made first by Phillip Morris.

Einstein smoked it.

Try some, you might too.
I also love Revelation as you can see by my display. Barking Dog Match is also very good and similar to me.

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
If you're liking Englishes but have enjoyed aromatics and want to move to less aromatic blends and into traditional territories, how about an English crossover? There are tonnes. A good, easy going starting point might be Boswells Northwoods. It has both a delicious and dynamic flavor. Spend sometime exploring what blenders can do with the English style before jumping blindly into all of the other ponds.

Reactions: Old_Woodsman
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Safe step? Hmmmm? My reply is something with genuine tobacco sweetness that you cannot get from an aromatic.

There are many but my suggestion is a real sleeper from C&D called Winchester. There’s no topping, doesn’t need any, nor is there any Perique or Latakia. Just an explosion of flavor all from leaf.

HH Acadian Perique, if you can find it, is another all natural blend full of real tobacco flavor. Light on Perique even though it’s in the name.

For a pure Burley give Crooner a shot. Again, nothing unnatural added but an herb, Deer tongue. Delicious and high in vitamin N.

There are many, many flavors to be discovered that will knock your socks off, without having to spray artificial anything onto the leaf.

Give the vanilla and peanut butter and raspberry and sugar cookies and chocolate cherries a rest. You may discover an entire world outside of aromatics.

Step away from the Latakia blends too, just to venture into some unfamiliar territory. Maybe even pure VA or a Red Virginia. You never know what avenues will open.

Good luck!

BTW, I smoke burley scraps. 😎
I totally forgot about deer tongue blends, like Crooner or Engine #382. They kind of have an herbal, anise, and vanilla flavor going on.

It is a different flavor that I enjoy when I remember about them.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I see you've smoked Granger. I've debated trying it. Is it one someone who likes Barking Dog or Revelation would like, or is it completely different?
I loooove Granger, but it’s is a completely different blend from Barking Dog or Revelation. It’s just a mild mannered, one note, all burley codger but that one note really does it for me. I won’t push Granger on anyone.m

However, I’m someone who appreciates Barking Dog. I just find it well balanced and, like Granger, it doesn’t make me look for the flavor. The Latakia is a condiment much like in Presbyterian.

On edit: Not to confuse you — there is no Latakia in Granger. It’s just Kentucky burley cased with molasses. There must be a light topping because it’s pungent when cracking a new tub, but that goes away quickly leaving only your typical raisiny burley scent.

Last edited:

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I loooove Granger, but it’s is a completely different blend from Barking Dog or Revelation. It’s just a mild mannered, one note, all burley codger but that one note really does it for me. I won’t push Granger on anyone.m

However, I’m someone who appreciates Barking Dog. I just find it well balanced and, like Granger, it doesn’t make me look for the flavor. The Latakia is a condiment much like in Presbyterian.

On edit: Not to confuse you — there is no Latakia in Granger. It’s just Kentucky burley cased with molasses. There must be a light topping because it’s pungent when cracking a new tub, but that goes away quickly leaving only your typical raisiny burley scent.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Grangerous

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
This is such a great forum, having access to so many experienced smokers advice is fantastic!
So, my question...I was weaned on Hogarth's Aromatic tobaccos, I still love the Coffee Caramel as a go-to for some quiet time with my pipe. However, I recently read that Mr. Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull) preferred Peterson's My Mixture 965 - so I bought some and have been surprised that despite it not being aromatic (correct me if I am wrong!) I did enjoy it.

Thanks
Big Tull Fan here no Idea that Ian smoked a pipe, Maybe try some other blends that Icons smoked as suggested Revelation = Einstien, Capstan Blue = Tolkien, Three Nuns = C.S. Lewis. Fribourg and Treyer Golden Mixture =Bertrand Russell. C&D Crooner (not that he actually smoked it but maybe something like it is the general consensus) = Bing Crosby, the three Nuns, and Golden Mixture might bite a bit if you're not careful to dry properly and sip but the Capstan is pretty forgiving.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
If you ask 100 pipe smokers what kind of tobacco you should try you'll get 300 different answers. The truth of the matter is, you should try whatever your pocketbook will allow you to try. Hang out at pipe shops and ingratiate yourself with the patrons, they'll share. Try everything you can until you find your vein, then try everything in that vein until you find what you like. Personally I'm a burley/VA guy. My favorite is Solani Aged Burley flake. I'm not a huge latakia or oriental fan nor am I a fan of perique. But I occasionally smoke blends with small amounts of any of those in it as a condimental. OTC burley blends are a good all day smoke for me, Carter Hall, Granger, Five Bros etc. If you like 965, it sounds like you may be a Lat/Oriental smoker, tons of options in that arena. I recommend Rattray's Red Rapparee.

Reactions: vosBghos

billm67

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Camp Hill, PA
I loved Frog Morton as a good crossover from aromatics to a more english blend. I am trying to find a suitable replacement as I have been mainly smoking cigars for the last two years. I have recently picked my pipes back up and I'm trying to find something in the same neighborhood as Frog Morton. Just mixed up 2 ounces of Lane HGL with 2 ounces of Sutliff Heavy English and a 1/2 ounce of Latakia. I love the smell of this blend mixed and it has a subtle English scent with just a hint of the Latakia peaking out. Can't wait to light up a bowl.