dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, but it still burns fuel that smells.
Not an issue. Never really noticed it unless I smell the unlit lighter or the fuel can. Butane has an added smell that I find unpleasant though. Almost rotten egg like.

Raisedbands

Lurker
Jan 8, 2022
New York
I don't need a luxury lighter when my Zippo's and my Bic's work just fine. The corona's and other similar lighter's look nice, but I can't justify spending $75 to $150 on a lighter. Especially when my lighters accomplish the same task at a fraction of the price. If I'm going to spend that much money on something pipe and cigar related, I'd rather just buy a new pipe, more tobacco or some nice cigars.

I have two fairly expensive torch lighters for my cigars. One I got on discount and the other I got free with a purchase of a box of cigars. Both lasted less than a year as they both stopped working. My $3 Ronson single torch lighter I got from Walmart about 13 years ago, still works like a champ and is one of my goto lighters that I use all the time. Between my Ronson torch lighter, my Zippo's and Bics; I don't need anything more.
I appreciate your sentiments, man; enjoyment of the tobacco is the main thing. But being that our pipes are a hobby and pastime I (personally) believe our lives are further enriched by artful and creatively engineered accessories. “A thing of beauty is a joy forever” (Shelley)
A lighter’s weight, feel and operation are something that is perpetually experienced/looked forward to/appreciated throughout a smokers life. A true-genuine Dunhill Unique (for instance) is subdued yet manly, with a tasteless, soft, butane, experience (almost as perfect as a match). I appreciate it every time I see it or use it, even to light a candle, much less a fine pipe packed full of a classic blend. Hopefully one of my son’s will enjoy it in the same way, if they don’t sell it for the same amount that I paid for it (or more). I do not mean to “mansplain” here; I know that a lighter is not a material necessity (none of a tobacconist’s repository is). I only hope to spread and increase enjoyment with these ideas. From cake to flake, to pipe, to lighter, to ashtray and back to tin/humidor; the human as creator is an amazing thing. Enjoy, my brother!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I wouldn’t classify an IM Corona Old Boy as Luxury, simply a good quality pipe lighter.

Anything to light a pipe is fine...

But, as an example, if you eventually started buying really expensive pipes, and wanted to keep them from getting the rims charred, you’d want to use a lighter designed for pipes with an adjustable flame.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with a Zippo or Bic, but you’d never catch me lighting an expensive pipe with them, given flame size, but then again, if they still make adjustable Bics, that would certainly be more helpful.

One last thing, I do notice the taste of Zippo fluid and in Bics too. I find really high quality butane cleaner tasting, which is the best reason to switch, if someone also notices this.

I've never tasted the fuel from my Bics, but I do from one of my Zippo's. Both of my Zippo's have a pipe insert, with one of them being a Z-pipe insert which uses Butane, so I don't taste the fuel with that one.

As for rim charring, I understand why some don't want to char the rim of their pipes; however, for me that's just part of the smoking process. If I need to clean my rims, some saliva and a paper towel work great.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
if you eventually started buying really expensive pipes, and wanted to keep them from getting the rims charred, you’d want to use a lighter designed for pipes with an adjustable flame
Or pull the flame away from the pipe while still drawing. Any lighter will scorch a rim if applied too long or if held in place between draws. The flame of a Zippo pipe insert will return to its upward position when not drawing without coming into contact with the pipe's rim while an angled flame will touch the rim if held in place while not drawing. A lighter's design isn't going to correct the ability of the smoker. I light all of my pipes regardless of material or type with a Beattie and the flame never touches the rim due to technique.

20210818_042530.jpg

Reactions: PipeIT

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
... That said, my favorite lighter is the Dunhill Rollagas, The silver version just feels so good in the hand. A have several of them, and the #1 problem is deteriorated o-rings,....The Chinese ST duPont lighters are completely reliable, very well made and enjoyable to hold.

View attachment 231546
Ditto

Rollagas rock my world. Also Sylphs, Sylphides, and Uniques. The older the better. Fluid or gas. Lunging tonight with a Bic, however. LOL

NO beauties yet. Love Kiribi and Corrona, Nimrod and Zippos.

Lighters rock

BTW-Roy King was an artist with rolla's

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A word on The Beattie Jet lighter: Not for beginners! It takes a real expert, such as chasing embers, to be able to use a Beattie properly.

I had one 50 years ago, loved it, and sorry when it was stolen. Don't want another, though, as my lighter warehouse is full.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
My enjoyment of smells like hot metal, welding, certain liquid fuels, and other solvents likely contribute.
I swallowed about a half pint of gas siphoning gas out of my old 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix with the T-Tops, uh I miss her. Anyway I didn't stop burping gas for at least 6 hours no matter what I did. I didn't even light a cigarette I was afraid of ignition lol. Never again will I do that or light my pipe with anything that I can taste fuel. Just brings up that experience every time, and I like zippo pipe lighters

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I swallowed about a half pint of gas siphoning gas out of my old 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix with the T-Tops, uh I miss her. Anyway I didn't stop burping gas for at least 6 hours no matter what I did. I didn't even light a cigarette I was afraid of ignition lol.
Been there several times myself.:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
A word on The Beattie Jet lighter: Not for beginners!
Basically the same flame type as a Zippo and definitely not a torch. It will blacken the edge of a meerschaum for sure but if someone is charring a briar rim with any lighter they should avoid them.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States

ZORRO 912S Windproof Lighter - Leak-Resistant Gasket Design, Upgraded Quality Fluid-Fill Lighter with Heavy-Duty Hinge and Ultra-Thick Construction​

1704654172762.png
Received this beauty today. Huge and Heavy. Replaced the included insert with a gold-flashed zippo pipe insert.
More of a tabletop lighter than a pocket lighter. Very nice.
Also, replaced the felt bottom of the pipe insert with a gasket seal, also available from Amazon--significant reduction in evaporation loss of lighter fluid.
This beast is the Hummer of zippo-type lighters.
Weighs approximately half a pound = 227 grams

Last edited: