PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Which countries make the most pipes? I'd guess Italy is first because they not only have a thriving tradition of pipe-making, but Italy seems to inherit many pipe makers from other countries. I would guess that France is second, with it's long tradition and being the cradle of the briar pipe. Next I'd guess Denmark with its large pipe industry and many artisans. Those are my picks (guesses). Does anyone have the actual data? The U.S. might be fourth, but England or Ireland might be ahead or in the running. Are these figures available, or are those numbers secrets of the business?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Actually, if you take corn cobs into consideration, I'd guess that the US is the largest producer.
Russ

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
If your talking about production pipes Id have to say Italy, now consider cobs and artesian pipes I would probably have to say the U.S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd certainly count cobs. I thought the other countries might lead the US because several have a more relaxed attitude toward smoking, so it is still an accepted and recognized custom. (Not in Ireland where it is now forbidden in pubs.) I like to think the US is first, just because it's the home team.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If you just consider briar pipes, I'd still say the U.S.. The number of Linkman's, Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, Medico and Yello-Bole have got to be in the tens of millions. I would guess France to be second, simply due to longevity, they've been making them longer than everyone else. Then Italy, not only for all of the "name" pipes, but for the sheer volume of basket pipes they have made over the years. Next I would guess England and then Denmark. After that I would suppose Turkey for all those meers.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I did a little online research and I found that Missouri Meerschaum produces about 3500 pipes per day and Savinelli Produces about 1000 per day

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Tobaccostan
Is it close to Uzbekistan?
I would say USA if you take corn cobs into consideration. I would say USA even if you don't take corn cobs into consideration. IMHO, pipe, pipe tobacco and cigar industry is mostly a US oriented thing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
delk', thank you for the production on Missouri Meerschaum; 3500 pipes a day is amazing. I guess that would put the U.S. in front, then add Dr. Grabow in Sparta, N.C., churning out their production, and others as mentioned. Factory pipes are the key, since they account for shear numbers. Some of the Italian outfits, in addition to Sav, really churn out quantity. In the U.S., there are the Brylon pipes, not favorites on Forums, but apparently perennial sellers...to someone.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Actually, if you take corn cobs into consideration,
No offense intended to anyone, but I would rather not. You see, if you include corn cobs and other cheap mass-production pipes like Medico or Grabow, you will get an entirely different result than you would serious artisan pipes. Not sure what any of this proves, but since the USA has the "corn belt" and is (I think) the largest producer of corn, then it only stands to reason that we would make more (all?) of the corn cob pipes.
But when you consider the size of the USA to most other countries, then add in cobs and cheap production pipes made easy by American industry, then what other country even has a chance? And if all the weighting is slanted toward only one outcome then does the poll really have any true meaning.
So I think it more meaningful to talk about /length or duration/ of production, and of serious artisan pipes, pipes which are difficult and time-consuming to make. And maybe pipe production as a function of population. When I look at it that way, the first name that comes to my mind are the Danes, followed by the Europeans, around the Mediterranean of which most of your quality briar comes, followed by Turkey and its Meerschaum.
Some of these smaller counties have invented and maintained the fine tradition of very high quality pipe production for many centuries without which there might not even be a pipe industry today.
As with most things, you can get a very different answer to any polling depending on how you want to weight it, and to me, it carries much more weight the /quality/ of the pipes you made and for how long, rather than just bulk numbers.

May 4, 2015
you will get an entirely different result than you would serious artisan pipes.
It all depends on what question you want answered.
"Who makes the most pipes".. probably the USA.
"Who makes the most serious artisan pipes" probably not the USA?
But, then you have to define serious artisan pipes and decide what qualifiers you want to use, etc. etc.
I think the simple "Who makes the most pipes" is as important a question as the latter.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Yes, if you count mass-produced cobs then I guess it would be USA. I reckon Italy produces the most pipes otherwise, considering so many brands are Italian.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
If you take quality off the table, I got to believe China makes more pipes than anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.