PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
I love all sherry, and bemoan the fact that we don't drink them often enough.

We are so lucky in Sydney to have an abundance of fresh seafood.

Dry sherry esp Fino and Manzanilla go so well. My personal favourite is anchovies (has to be prime quality) on toast. A salsa of finely chopped parsley, capers and olive oil really makes it sing.
Another is small prawns/shrimps (no more than 1.5inch) floured, deep fried served with a dusting of salt&pepper, a small amount of chopped fresh chilli and a squeeze of lemon with a glass (or 3) of cold manzanilla ?

Lots of myths about sherry (like pipes) including not cellaring/aging bottles.

A bottle cellared 5-10 years may not be as fresh as one that has just been bottled, but they don't "go off". I have had stellar bottles that were bottled 30-40 years earlier

Opened bottles will keep for days in the fridge if re-sealed. They have been aged in casks for years (I have sherries that have had 60-80years+ aging in casks) so a little air is not going to affect them adversely over a few days
If cellared properly it can increase in complexity in my opinion.

Reactions: OzPiper

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
I have never heard about the Bacchus company until now, therefore I can not speak about the quality of their products. However, their brandy is not cognac and their sparkling wine is not champagne. Cognac and champagne are products of very specific regions and production methods, located in France. They have AOC status (appellation of controlled origin) and are protected by law. No other products should be named so. Treaties have been signed but unfortunately not all foreign producers follow the agreements. Until lawyers get involved...

Reactions: OzPiper and Hfinn
H

Hfinn

I have never heard about the Bacchus company until now, therefore I can not speak about the quality of their products. However, their brandy is not cognac and their sparkling wine is not champagne. Cognac and champagne are products of very specific regions and production methods, located in France. They have AOC status (appellation of controlled origin) and are protected by law. No other products should be named so. Treaties have been signed but unfortunately not all foreign producers follow the agreements. Until lawyers get involved...
I don't know what to call it, brandy or cognac, but Kazakhstan 3 stars is a good booze, I'm telling you for sure.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I'm a fan of Cardenal Mendoza and Gran Duque d'Alba. I like the sherries I have tried, but I've not really dived deep. I enjoyed Lustau's East India Reserve and Tio Pepe? (very dry). Really I've given the brandies and sherries short shrift, when I'm drinking something from that area it's Port 99 out of 100. Dow, Warre, Quinta de Noval and Gould-Campbell are my homies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I love all sherry, and bemoan the fact that we don't drink them often enough.

We are so lucky in Sydney to have an abundance of fresh seafood.

Dry sherry esp Fino and Manzanilla go so well. My personal favourite is anchovies (has to be prime quality) on toast. A salsa of finely chopped parsley, capers and olive oil really makes it sing.
Another is small prawns/shrimps (no more than 1.5inch) floured, deep fried served with a dusting of salt&pepper, a small amount of chopped fresh chilli and a squeeze of lemon with a glass (or 3) of cold manzanilla ?

Lots of myths about sherry (like pipes) including not cellaring/aging bottles.

A myth that is absolute rubbish - "don't cellar sherry". A bottle cellared 5-10 years may not be as fresh as one that has just been bottled, but they don't "go off". I have had stellar bottles that were bottled 30-40 years earlier

Opened bottles will keep for days in the fridge if re-sealed. They have been aged in casks for years (I have sherries that have had 60-80years+ aging in casks) so a little air is not going to affect them adversely over a few days
This is a fantastic thread! I’ve delved into sherry in the past, but now I really need to go on a buying pilgrimage
All the talk of flavors… exactly how I got into pipes. #OzPiper, your food descriptions are both succinct and mouthwatering, as I “study” for a colonoscopy tomorrow. #SmokeClouds, what a pleasure to read your encyclopedic notes on a topic that you are clearly passionate about.

I’m bookmarking this thread for my shopping trip to South Jersey!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
This is a fantastic thread! I’ve delved into sherry in the past, but now I really need to go on a buying pilgrimage
All the talk of flavors… exactly how I got into pipes. #OzPiper, your food descriptions are both succinct and mouthwatering, as I “study” for a colonoscopy tomorrow. #SmokeClouds, what a pleasure to read your encyclopedic notes on a topic that you are clearly passionate about.

LOL, you'll have earned a nice brandy, or cognac or Grain Belt after the swill you must be drinking now! Bottoms sideways and then later . . . up!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

I often feel like I'm preaching from a soap-box when banging on about sherry :)

Prior to WW ll , sherry was one of the most expensive items on wine-lists. Its popularity plummeted after the war and is now looked on as "Aunt Mabel's tipple" or an ingredient for trifle.

Discovering the pleasures of sherry is a delight awaiting every wine-drinker. There are so many styles to choose from (like tobacco genres).

And the price-quality ratio is so superior to most other categories of wine.

And best of luck with the "long, black worm" tomorrow.;)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There will be a trip to the state store tomorrow (ah, the joys of Pennsylvania), but a pilgrimage to New Jersey in the next week, with this message thread in hand.

But right now, all I really want is a pack of Nabs and a scrapple n’ eggs breakfast. Maybe with a propofol aperitif.

• Haha
Reactions: Bengel

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
My wife likes brandy and cognac--Torres 10 year brandy and 20 year Prunier. We've done taste tests together and she nails these flavors among several varieties each time. Likes 'em the most.

I read some here like Costco liquors. I wonder how those stack up with these above two kinds?

Or what brandy and/or cognac are preferred? By You, Friends/Family?
kindly,
mike

ps--I've mentioned elsewhere I'm liking Paddy's (and most rye whiskeys -- and Laphroaig if its single malt--tastes like siphoning gasoline to me--or a big hit of Latakia :)) .... or what I remember from hash 40 years ago LOL). I don't like brandy and don't appreciate cognac, taste is weird! :)

I like Armagnac, but I will only give the "bottom shelf" recommendation of deLord's as I do not see a lot of Armagnac here in rural Tennessee (go figure). Armagnac is often enjoyed by those that like cognac; I prefer Armagnac and I suspect it has to do with the use of the column still vs. the pot still used to produce cognac. Plus, you can get more age per dollar with Armagnac vs. Cognac. I have read that Scotch drinkers tend to prefer Cognac and Bourbon drinkers tend to prefer Armagnac.

deLord Hors d'Age is a winter-time regular in our house. Simply the best accompaniment to an aged Cuban cigar or bowl of Balkan

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I like Armagnac, but I will only give the "bottom shelf" recommendation of deLord's as I do not see a lot of Armagnac here in rural Tennessee (go figure). Armagnac is often enjoyed by those that like cognac; I prefer Armagnac and I suspect it has to do with the use of the column still vs. the pot still used to produce cognac. Plus, you can get more age per dollar with Armagnac vs. Cognac. I have read that Scotch drinkers tend to prefer Cognac and Bourbon drinkers tend to prefer Armagnac.

deLord Hors d'Age is a winter-time regular in our house. Simply the best accompaniment to an aged Cuban cigar or bowl of Balkan
Single distillation for Armagnac compared to cognac which is double-distilled results in Armagnac having more flavour and "oomph". Different species of oak barrels used for maturation also affects the taste.

Delord is one of the largest Armagnac producers and prices here in Australia are cheaper than the other brands.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Single distillation for Armagnac compared to cognac which is double-distilled results in Armagnac having more flavour and "oomph". Different species of oak barrels used for maturation also affects the taste.

Delord is one of the largest Armagnac producers and prices here in Australia are cheaper than the other brands.

I remember reading into it when I first discovered it, but it's been some time. Thank you for the refresher! :col:

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
Is Woodford Reserve swill? Germain-Robin? I’m sticking to a purely liquid diet!
Woodford is quality whiskey but somewhat boring and characterless for me.
The old bottles of Germain Robin, pre sale to Gallo in 2017, are excellent. Have not tasted the post sale releases.