PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I sent an enquiry to SG. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they respond.
Interesting suggestions so far and some valuable insights! Stock levels of the rest of the line seem ok for the moment, but that is likely a result of supply/demand rather than a production issue specific to FVF.
I'll look in to Wessex. Haven't tried it but I know folks seem to enjoy it. Thanks Jim.
St. James Flake, if you don't mind a bit of Perique in your Va then it's virtually the same thing.

You know, I've seen this mentioned a few times before but I can't say that I've ever noticed a fvf signature when smoking SJF, of which I have more than my fair share. Even in when I overdry SJF and the perique seem to hardly assert itself it never seems to have the depth of fvf.
Favorite alternatives to FVF for me are Klondike Gold, Capstan, F&T Vintage Flake.

Vintage flake? That's new to me. Thanks!
Whenever we make lists of top tobaccos the usual suspects always seem a safe bet. I've always suspected folks have a secret list that they hold back :D
New discoveries are much of the fun.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm always surprised when folks call FVF strong; I don't care for heavier tobaccos or nicotine-forward blends, and I find FVF very smooth and mild. Although I've got a good supply, I also alternate with Dunhill Flake, which doesn't have quite the flavor that FVF does but is a wonderful smoke.
For a bit more richness, you can't go wrong with Rattray's Old Gowrie.
Bob

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Bigpond,
Have a little patience. It will be everywhere in a few months. I remember when Wessex BCDF, Astley's 44, and a few others were all the rage. You would get "in stock" notifications via email and 5 min later it was all sold out. Now you can pick up 10 tins of all of it everywhere. These things go in spurts. It appears to be in stock at SP:
Smoking Pipes FVF
Cheers,
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.