Where to start for tin/brand name tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2012
So having access to a very well stocked b&m here in Houston, and one that features many of their own blends (good ones too!), I have only been heavily exposed to these tobaccos for the most part. I have purchased a tin of davidoff english mixture and a good deal of penzance, both of which I enjoy immensely. Lately my tastes have been moving away from aromatics and funny flavors and I am starting to want to explore tinned or branded tobaccos, but don't know where to start! Could anyone make some recommendations as to some good staples in this area?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Sounds like you like englishes, I cant help you there, I am a VA guy, if you want anything along those lines id start with Orlik, maybe try some macbarens.
smokingpipes.com has a top ordered list for tins that is worth looking at

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Bwah-ha-ha-ha
(Oh sorry. Reflex evil laugh at thought of you becoming one of us. Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.)
If you want to cover some broad ground on different types here's a few classics (or new classics) to start with:
Presbyterian (fairly mild intro to English blends)

Orlick Golden Slice (not a favorite of mine, but a certain type)

GL Pease Jackknife plug (or ready rubbed; solid, strong, a real modern favorite)

Frog Morton (or FMOTT)for Latakia intro

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
It really depends on what exactly you are looking for out a tobacco,personal prefrences have a lot to do with it.

I would suggest to check out http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/category/pipe-news/ as it can give you a lot of insite into the different tobaccos many people try, especially if you are buying online.
Or check out the reviews the guys here post. Most are dead on.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Dunhill 965, Dunhill London Mixture, GL Pease Charring Cross, Mcclelland Frog Morton, Dunhill Nightcap, all very good. If I had to start with a straight english blend to compare to all other english blends, it would be 965.

Jul 12, 2011
Mmm-Mmm-mmm English blends you say;

Smokingpipes.com for Low Country Tobacco's Cooper blend (med-English)

C&D's Billy Budd (full-English)

SG SL

Boswell's Countryside (med-English) and northwoods (full-English)

Dunhill's Nightcap and London mixtures
Also try some Balkans as well; MC's Froggy blends are very nice perhaps

H&H Blackhouse and Magnum Opus, SPC's plum pudding
So many greats and don't even get me started with Vs and VaPers and VaBurs :)

My TAD beast is out of control just typing this post ;-)

Feb 6, 2012
Thats quite a few suggestions, thanks! Now I guess I'll have to go back to tobacco shop to research 8)
Also - what is a good introductory virginia? I have never tried one.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
An excellent start is at the sister site Luxury Tobacco Reviews, where you can peruse blends according to genre, which I find very handy. A great tip for any review site is to find someone who reviewed a tobacco you know you like, and check out what other tobaccos they've reviewed and liked as well. The same goes for checking out the "What are you smoking..." monthly threads on this forum. And don't be afraid to just try something based on the tin description or a whim--the journey is its own reward, and you can often be pleasantly surprised.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you have a good B&M,talk to the guys who work there.

My own recommendations would be Peterson's Old Dublin for an English - it is my go-to English. MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian is another good one to try.

Virginias - Rattray Hal o' the Wynd, or a McClelland. Have to smoke these slowly - sip 'em. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.