PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Regardless of what you do, take some time to clean them up a bit, take some good photos and get measurements and weights. `You may not be able to take photos like the pros but with a little effort and experimentation, you can take workable photos with a newer iPhone.
I would then try to sell them here first. You can price them 10 to 25% lower because you won't have the eBay fees and/or commission fees you will have by using another avenue. I would show and offer the higher end here. Takes minimal effort so why wouldn't you?
If you're in a hurry for quick cash and/or don't want to deal with the hassle, send them to pipestud or sell to one of the wholesalers as recommended. Good luck!

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
You don't have to get screwed with eBay. You can choose to list them at a fixed price until they sell. Might take a while but you'll get what you want for them. I think they're running a 50% off sellers fees at the moment.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have sold 3 of my low grade and 2 mid grade pipes on Ebay, all with good results so far (knocking on wood here).
I clean and shine the pipes as best I can and post as many good, clear pics as I can showing flaws up front and being very honest in the description.

I also put in my listing that I will not ship or sell internationally and I have done pretty well so far, breaking even on a few, made some room in my stable and made a little money on a few as well.

I also recommend being very clear on your return policy, if you have one.
I think as long as you are honest and people know what they are getting up front, then they are less likely to take advantage, or feel taken advantage of.
All of the above being said, all of my high end pipes have gone to pipestud so far.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
@litup, yes I have a straight blasted billiard from Jim Deschaine that smokes great, but I bought another from him that I love more and I only have 36 spots in my pipe cabinet. I need room before Chicago.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Alan, I'm a little OCD about accumulating things. And it keeps the wife happy. The horn is an Eltang Snail grade.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Very nice pipes and very good advice.
Selling on eBay is time-intensive, and you need a certain skill set to do it successfully. So it really comes down to what your time is worth and whether you are able to put forth a good presentation of your pipes.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Alan: yep! I'm working on a FS post now that will have links to more pictures.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
iajaffe, OMG!!! I just saw that you sold multiple high end pipes on this site in less than an hour. Even the Tom Eltang snail grade went fast. I am very happy for you! That is a good deal for both you and the buyer.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Damn, good job on the sale! Now I’ll have to try selling some of mine on here. I have two Executive Charatans that are excellent, they just don’t fit into my rotation often enough.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Congratulations! I'm happy that this worked out so well for you! You made forum history! It's the first time I've seen an ultra high grade sell here. You've proved it can happen. I'm quite happy to have been proven wrong!

Aug 14, 2012
I have sold a lot of pipes. Ebay is full of cheap skates, chiselers and bargain hunters. The guys on this site are better.

Aug 14, 2012
I have sold a lot of pipes. Ebay is full of cheap skates, chiselers and bargain hunters. The guys on this site are better.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Congratulations! I'm happy that this worked out so well for you! You made forum history! It's the first time I've seen an ultra high grade sell here. You've proved it can happen. I'm quite happy to have been proven wrong!
Might someone have a link to the sale?

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have to confirm that selling on this site is better. The guys here would appreciate and understand what they are buying. I have conducted several transactions here and they have all gone smoothly! Plus, I like thumbing through the pictures of pipes for sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.