PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

professorwheezy

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2013
I have read many but not all the topics on this. I have started buying estate pipes and want to clean them up as a hobby and to use. I have included a list of what I think I will need based on what I have read. Can anyone add to the list AND tell me WHERE to get these supplies. Either store type, name, or website.
Wet Sandpaper 800-3500 grit

Dry sandpaper 300-1000 grit

Carnuba Wax

Isopropal Alcohol > 90%(Walmart)

Everclear or Very High Alcohol(Liquor Store)

Non Iodized course salt (Walmart)

Bleach (Walmart)

Jewelers Rouge Red

Jewelers Diamond Dust White

Buffing Wheel Attachment for hand drill

Course Pipe Cleaners (Tobacco Store)

Pipe Cleaners (Tobacco Store)

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Wet Sandpaper 800-3500 grit

Dry sandpaper 300-1000 grit
Not really sure why you need such fine grit dry sand paper. I just use up to 350 paper then jump to Micro Mesh Pads. Do an internet search for Micro Mesh Pads and you should find plenty. I got mine of eBay for cheap. I use them wet on stems, prevents them from gumming up. I use them dry on the wood.
Carnuba Wax

Jewelers Rouge Red

Jewelers Diamond Dust White
You can get a nice bar that will last you for ever from Pipe Makers Emporium. The same for the Red and White. Typically the red is called Red Tripoli and the white is White Diamond. There are many different compounds (in between grits), but for home restoring Use red Tripoli, then white diamond and finish with carnuba and your results will be great. Look up the Beal Buff System on YouTube and you will see a great example of what I am talking about. It is what I use.
Buffing Wheel Attachment for hand drill
You should be able to get this from just about any hardware store. I know Home Depot sells a kit made by Ryboi. Be careful with using a hand drill as it can turn much faster then you need and can burn the compounds your using. I would suggest a simple clamp to clamp your drill to a table. Makes it easier so you don't have to hold the drill as well.
Just a tip, I don't necessarily think you need everything listed. I bought what I needed as I went along. You can do a great restoration with a lot of elbow grease and patience. Good luck with your restorations.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd pick up some Q-tips and shank brush--4noggins has them. You don't need to buy two different kinds of sandpaper. Wet OR dry is best IMO. All your sandpapers should come from the same mfr. Auto paint stores are a good source or online. Red rouge is one of the finest grit compounds you can find.White Diamond is sufficient for putting a nice shine on bowl or stems,the Red rouge will put a little added sparkle on a properly prepared stem.

Amazon and others have some small buffers for about $40.00. Several guys I know have had good luck with them. You'll need extra buffing wheels,both hard and soft.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
+1 to everything Eaglerico and Ejames said... as usual.
I'd like to echo the thought that eaglerico said above regarding buying what you need as you go along with resto/refurb work on pipes. I started cleaning up pipes in the beginning of this year, and just kept adding tools and materiel to my kit as the need arose.
In addition to the gear/goods you have listed above, I've also added the following to my Pipe Cave:

- flashlight (you'll never know what's inside that shank until you look)

- eye dropper (for adding alcohol to your Kosher salt - your drugstore sells these)

- needle files in varying sizes/grades

- 000 and 0000 steel wool

- petroleum jelly(for preserving pipe marks silly)

- needle nose pliers in a few sizes ('cause sometimes unfortunate things are found in the shank)

- a small cooler to hold my beer

- beer
Have fun!
-- Pat

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Professor
The higher the number of the sandpaper, the finer the sanding will be. In metal work, if one has the patience, using a higher and higher grit will eventually give you the best shine, as stated in the forum quite some time ago.
As a professional jeweler, I often just have the time to go through the many steps before the final polish on gold or silver jewelry (my patience level has something to do with this, LOL). In doing jewelry repair work on older not valuable items, simply repairing it and getting to shine makes the clients so happy, it isn't really much of an issue.
In working with Platinum, however, no matter how many times I want to 'skip a step' it always come to bite in the a++. Usually at the end, making me go back to nearly the beginning of the polishing process.
If you are a hobbiest who pipes, the finer the grit used will bring down the 'scratch' marks to near infinity, making the final polish a much easier chore. And the finish!
Yes you can skip stems (as I do, :( ) but if you want that incredible glow of the 'like new' pipe, go for the fine grits.
YMMV

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.