PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
AstasMeerschaum on etsy has some really reasonably priced meers on his page. If you are looking at the next price range up. This one caught my eye, and is very tempting at this price.

Bent Lattice Apple
Edit. Looks like it's no longer on sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Briar Tuck

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
One problem I encountered is that with estate meers you're dealing with people who know nothing about the pipe. Often they price it very high because it's "ivory", therefor valuable.

I've seen some on Craigslist. They have a rule against tobacco products but they tend not to enforce it very well. The advantage of Craigslist is that it will be local so you can see before you buy. I usually search with "smoking pipes" and "tobacco". otherwise you'll get a lot of other stuff. puffy

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
It is something of a crap shoot. I have had a lot of luck with the really old ones. If you are going to inhabit that space expect worn out tenons and stems that share certain close similarities to fragmentation grenades. Once expertly overhauled they will give years of service if treated correctly and with care.
Same experience here. I have quite a few smooth, straight, well-smoked estate meers that I have bought on ebay or antique stores, and restored. I hear these stories about 'disaster' meers that fall apart, but I've never experienced anything like that - not even a crack.

But...I don't buy random maker meers and I don't buy cheap, unsmoked meers. The reputable pipe companies almost all made simple smooth straight meers in the early 1900's. I now only buy such pipes, and only those with bone screw tenons. Very worst case is that you get one where the stem isn't anywhere close to aligned, in which case you can sand either the stem or the face of the shank (whichever doesn't have the tenon) carefully, until things align.

And of course, if you want a meer for under $50, your likely going to end up with an 'under $50' quality meer.

I'll add that, checking my inventory spreadsheet, most of my smooth straight billiards were $65-$90 and have cases, bone tenons and amber stems.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
@runscott : Same here old boy!
Here's a perfect example of what I look for - no stummel issues, bone tenon, nice amber stem with orific bit, under $90 all-in:

1910-20 meer pipe

s-l1600.jpg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Here's a perfect example of what I look for - no stummel issues, bone tenon, nice amber stem with orific bit, under $90 all-in:

1910-20 meer pipe

s-l1600.jpg
Looks nice, it does look like stem is over-clocked a tad, so some tenon work may be involved.
I got the one I posted previously in hand (I started another thread with what i got and where I’m at on cleanup) and am happy so far. I should have new tenon parts in hand later this week.
Tricky part will be finding a case, but enough fly by on fleabay that I should be able to be up and running with a solid starter for under $60
DBA05175-BFBA-4FD6-9058-AF4A9ED44217.jpeg

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Looks nice, it does look like stem is over-clocked a tad, so some tenon work may be involved.
I got the one I posted previously in hand (I started another thread with what i got and where I’m at on cleanup) and am happy so far. I should have new tenon parts in hand later this week.
Tricky part will be finding a case, but enough fly by on fleabay that I should be able to be up and running with a solid starter for under $60

Turns just a tad too much to the right - not even enough concern to mess with. It arrived today and I've already restored it. There was almost nothing to do. Looking through my inventory, I have about fifteen that are very similar to this one other than the usual Bakelite stems and cheap cases. Also, at nearly 6.5 inches, it's my longest of this type meer.

The left side of the case is lined with velvet, the right with silk. The amber is as nice a piece as I've seen on anything other than my 1902 Peterson.

An ebony stain pen for touch-up, and some Ren wax, and the case looks almost unused. I think this was a case of someone being gifted a pipe that they didn't care to smoke, and it ended up in a box in the attic for a few generations.

Here is my favorite straight meer - a Sommer, 1910-20. At $101, a little higher than the $87 I got the no-name for:

s-l1600-1.jpg

Reactions: Sobrbiker