PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ve been going nuts trying to find a plain Jane straight stem smooth billiard or apple estate meer for weeks now.
I bought a mini-meer with 3/4” bowl from AND and like it enough I’d love a standard size starter for my rotation but have TAD pretty bad, spending too much on finding blends I like, therefore my budget isn’t near what folks are asking for new meers.
Most I see on eBay in the price range I’m looking (<$50) look really risky on tenon integrity, block or not, not clear if cracked or not, trashed mouthpieces, or all crazy carved stuff that I’m not interested in.

I see enough people here or elsewhere posting good finds often, am I just looking in all the wrong places or am I expecting too much for my budget?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I would be real careful with buying a meer on eBay because you never know for sure if you are buying one that has hairline cracks in it. The same with meers you may find in antique/junk shops or flea markets. I have bought three or four unsmoked meers in their cases at antique shops. I examined them carefully with a magnifying glass to look for cracks and didn't see any. I found the cracks as soon as I started smoking them. The cracks I didn't see in two of them were so bad that the pipe fell apart in my hand.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I would be real careful with buying a meer on eBay because you never know for sure if you are buying one that has hairline cracks in it. The same with meers you may find in antique/junk shops or flea markets. I have bought three or four unsmoked meers in their cases at antique shops. I examined them carefully with a magnifying glass to look for cracks and didn't see any. I found the cracks as soon as I started smoking them. The cracks I didn't see in two of them were so bad that the pipe fell apart in my hand.
I have to second this. I discovered a tiny crack in my one-and-only meer after the first bowl. Thankfully it hasn’t yet affected the integrity of the pipe, but it has changed how I feel about smoking it. My next meer purchase will be from a trusted retailer.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I would be real careful with buying a meer on eBay because you never know for sure if you are buying one that has hairline cracks in it……..
Yes sir, what you and rmbittner just posted is my biggest concern.
I dragged my feet when @MCJ had one listed and missed a good opportunity here.
Regardless of hobby involved, I’ve had the best luck since al gore invented the internet by becoming involved in forums. One can tell with a little experience which forums are populated by folks who actually have integrity in their communities, while the sales sites are full of shysters making money without regard.

I’ve been an alcoholic in recovery for decades, but still struggle with patience and trusting that the best things happen when I don’t force my will.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have to second this. I discovered a tiny crack in my one-and-only meer after the first bowl. Thankfully it hasn’t yet affected the integrity of the pipe, but it has changed how I feel about smoking it. My next meer purchase will be from a trusted retailer.
I kept the two meers with hairline cracks but only smoke them maybe twice a year. What I did with both was as soon as the pipes got hot and the crack appeared, I took a tooth pick and spread superglue over the crack. That hasn't affected the taste of the tobacco and so far the cracks haven't gotten worse.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I buy a lot of old to very old meers, at the price point you’re looking for your going to be doing a fair bit of gambling and or be willing to repair or pay someone else to repair. I buy them and repair them myself, but there are only few people willing to work on antique and vintage meers, the risk of one disintegrating in your hand when you work on it is high. They are out there but mostly you’ll need to invest a little $ in one to get it into smoking shape again, generally stem and tenon replacement is in order. Coincidentally enough, billiards are not very common in meerschaum. Not sure why but the billiards that are out there tend to be either expensive or poorly shaped. Apples and dublins are far more common. Meerschaums that have been shaped well into traditional English/French shapes tend bring a lot of money.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The only game in town is eBay so bite the bullet and start shopping. And don't be afraid to be choosy. You find pipes in you price range, but you will find a lot of them have problems you don't want to deal with so don't. Them when you do find look deep in your soul and determine what is the most you want to pay for it. Then bid that much and wait for eBay to notify you one way or the other. Whatever you don't bid again. If you are comfortable with Auction Sniper that's the thing to use.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
A friend of mine just sent me a photo of a meer in one of our local thrift stores. I spotted a small crack immediately. I don't doubt that there could be more hairline cracks that aren't as obvious. It's a gamble for sure.

Reactions: kcghost

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It is something of a crap shoot. I have had a lot of luck with the really old ones. If you are going to inhabit that space expect worn out tenons and stems that share certain close similarities to fragmentation grenades. Once expertly overhauled they will give years of service if treated correctly and with care.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Well, I popped on eBay after posting this, and put a reasonable bid on this guy that was ending this evening, and won it.
I had reached out to seller to get the overall and bowl size, and asked about tenon integrity. Hopefully I didn’t get burned…
View attachment 198348
That should be an easy clean up! Decent choice for your current wants in a meer. I love my SMS apple meer. It wasn't very expensive but smokes amazingly. I'll never sell it.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
That should be an easy clean up! Decent choice for your current wants in a meer. I love my SMS apple meer. It wasn't very expensive but smokes amazingly. I'll never sell it.
I’ve been waiting for them to upload more sms straight apple/billiard meers. What’re the dimensions on yours?

Reactions: Briar Tuck

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I’ve been waiting for them to upload more sms straight apple/billiard meers. What’re the dimensions on yours?
Yeah I think I got lucky when I scored mine. As I have been looking for another just like it for over a year now with no luck.

Mines just a little guy, but that's how I like em.

Length 5.4"
Bowl ID .7"
Bowl depth. 1.3"

PXL_20230130_040215823.MP.jpgPXL_20230130_040239944.MP.jpg
This thing has been beat to hell apparently lol. But it could easily be the only pipe I smoke for the rest of my life.