Where to buy strong, dark or black tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

artmustel

Lurker
Aug 1, 2010
Hi, everyone. I'm a new member of this forum, and need help looking a brand of strong or dark tobacco. All the brands available at my local tobacco shop are mild to my taste. Since I'm also a new pipe smoker I don't know what kind of pipe tobacco would be strong enough for me, I would like something similar to the french "Galousies" cigarettes (or stronger) but in pipe "format". Anyone knows if such pipe tobacco is readily available on the States? If so, would you please be kind enough of point to some links where I can buy it online? Does not need to be imported tobacco. Thanks for your help!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Hello Art, and welcome to PipesMagazine.com!
I am not familiar with the French "Galousies" cigarettes, but I am always happy to recommend some tobacco. When you say "strong", I am not sure if you mean as far as nicotine kick, or flavor, or both.
Here is my opinion on some recommendations with the caveat that your tastes may be different than mine.
Full Flavored:

G.L. Pease Maltese Falcon

Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian

McClelland Frog Morton

Samuel Gawith Commonwealth

Stokkebye Proper English
Full Flavored & Strong:

Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake

Samuel Gawith 1792 (I haven't tried this one, but hear it is strong)

Peterson Irish Flake - makes the room spin for me.

artmustel

Lurker
Aug 1, 2010
Kevin, thanks for your response. Unfortunately I don't know well how to explain what I mean by "strong", it may be a combination of high nicotine content and full flavor, but I guess it is related to the tobacco variety, I guess it is known as "black tobacco", I'm sorry I'm so ignorant in this matter. By instance, I think this kind of tobacco is used in the "little cigars", those cigarettes that come with dark paper, which taste almost like cigars.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
If you're looking for something that tastes kind of like a cigar, try Cornell & Diehl Kajun Kake. I don't think it has cigar tobacco in it, but it taste like it.
There are also some pipe tobacco blends out there that have actual cigar tobacco in them.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
PS Amsterdam shag is dark flue cured Virginas ,fire-cured Kentucky ,it is also available in pipe cut but with less strength . The shag is very strong and makes a stout cigarette .Deep rich and complex and very smokey taste . This is stronger than any American mass produced cigarette .

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Artmustel, let me extend my welcome to the forums.
Most folks say Five Brothers is very strong (nicotine and flavor); but it is a medium brown color.
Picayune by Daughters & Ryan is much darker, and many times stronger. It is the strongest tobacco I have ever smoked -- overwhelming. Fasten your seatbelt.
Both are shag cuts, which develop quite a volume of smoke, and no doubt contributes to the kick they deliver.
If you're going to be shopping around, consider sampling tobaccos described as "stoved", for those will tend to be blacker and richer.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Gawith and Hoggarth Dark Birdseye is both dark and strong. It too has that sharp spicey/smokey element to it almost like a peat fire. It is a very stout very tastey and very buzzy tobacco experience. I smoke little 1/4 full bowls of it from a group 2 sized pipe and that is about as much as I can take in one sitting.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I forgot to include a good pipe tobacco resource, Jon Tillman's Tobacco Reviews Search Page.

There, you can search for a whole range of blend strengths and other subjective attributes.

For example, on the basis of strength alone I found 37 blends that were rated from "Very Strong" to "Overwhelming." Hope that helps.
(While at TR.com, you might also want to read the one extant review of the blend, Picayune, that I suggested earlier. I think it's spot-on.)

motownmick

Lurker
Aug 21, 2011
I love the flavor of the Stokkebye Proper English. Does anyone know one that tastes like it, but is higher in nicotine?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I enjoy a very dark almost black tobacco occasionally. It is very mild, even by my standards. You can not match dark with strong.
Winton

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I was going to reccomend two potent funky blends that have been compared to Galousies more than once, but Cortezattic beat me to it.

Five Brothers and Picayune for sure for sure.

Picayune should come with its own particular warning label. When rolled into a cigarette, I havent found anyone who could finish one and stand up straight. "Overpowering" is the word that comes to mind.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
ahah! another potential la-tak-ia addict.

love that proper english and sure you will too. love those strong flavored tobaccos.

take the advice you get here, its worthy.

ive heard that perique offers some nic. its really a condiment you add to tweak more to suit your taste.

will mix perique, oriental, burley and la tak ia. tend to over do it though.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Try Billy Budd by Cornell & Diehl...if love a strong full bodied smoke - that one will set you free.

Status
Not open for further replies.