PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Reggie_Magoo

Lurker
Nov 3, 2022
Where is the best place to buy new stems?

It's my favorite pipe; has a good draw, plus it was my dad's

Attachments

• 1667831081350616527965002649787.jpg
    1667831081350616527965002649787.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here are a few pipe repair services:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe stems aren't like car parts that will push right in after ordering the right stem for the right brand and shape. Occasionally, someone will fish out a good replacement stem from a drawer or box of random stems, but it's hard to find them that fit exactly that pipe, flush with the shank and airway.

With most briar pipes, unless you are into crafting your own hand-cut stems, which most of us aren't, the best plan is to send the pipe to a pipe repairman (or repair person) with a reputation for good work done promptly. I did that with an estate pipe gifted me. The stem was Vulcanite that oxidized almost as soon as I finished polishing it. I told the repairman exactly what I wanted in terms of material, bend and color, and he got it back to me in a little over a week, as I recall. It looks and smokes great, a whole new pipe.

Give careful consideration to color. Sometimes a particular color can really make your pipe "pop" visually. My pipe was a bent freehand, and I went from the highly oxidized black stem to a bright tortoise shell, which was a real step up.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Here are a few pipe repair services:
Recently had a stem replacement done by Briarville for the first time and it arrived today. Matched it to the original stem but in what he calls amber tortoise. Original was black. Looks fabulous with the new stem-much better looking than the original.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Reggie:

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

chellams

Lurker
Sep 23, 2022
South Carolina
Highly recommend J.H. Lowe & Co. That is Tim West’s repair business. He makes great pipes, and does excellent repair work. Myself and a friend have a few pipes off to him at the moment for new stems.