PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I noticed when I started pipe smoking that I could detect all the flavor of the tobacco by directing smoke to one specific spot near the end of my tongue. That also inevitably led to burn. Recently, I’ve really started enjoying smoking much more as I’ve stopped puffing almost completely. I get plenty of smoke by doing nothing and going about my business of relaxing with the pipe in my mouth. I puff a little, once in a while, just to push it, but that’s rare. I do get some flavor but when the pipe has just gone out I direct the hot air towards that spot near the tip of my tongue and there’s all that flavor again, for a second. I’m just curious if experienced pipe-smokers just get flavor everywhere, maybe as their taste develops over time they’re more sensitive to all the flavors? I guess so, otherwise there wouldn’t be a p-lip. I should note that medications for migraines have caused me dry-mouth issues and that should improve as I’m going to change my Rx. But this is a long-standing issue/question I’ve had. Flavor everywhere? Any takers on this newbie question?

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
i get more of the notes on a snork (retrohale through the nose) you know all the blah blah blah about olfactory and marriage of smell and taste.
I see. I do retrohale sometimes. Ok.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
i get more of the notes on a snork (retrohale through the nose) you know all the blah blah blah about olfactory and marriage of smell and taste.
I can't taste any smoke unless I retrohale.
👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆

I taste nothing without a retrohale (snork).

Your technique sounds like it's improving which helps a lot. Getting a pipe too hot not only ends in tongue bite but also kills most of the flavor. Smoking slow and steady is where you find the flavor.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Maybe asymptomatic Covid. Just a shot in the dark. Were I you, and I'm not. I'd be making an appointment with the doctor and detail your concerns.
That could be. If so, it would have been from back in February. It’s hard because I’m also on migraine meds that dry my mouth and Japan gives 20% of its population, including me, extreme tree allergies in March and antihistamines made that worse (I’ve lived in Japan for more than 15 years). I’ve lowered everything and stopped allergy meds and feel better. I was sick with a long “cold” in February. It could have been COVID. I just came from the Dr about just starting to get tinnitus. Honestly, I’ve had enough of doctors hemming and hawing and telling me shoganai (“nothing to be done”). I mean, what will they do now anyway? If it was Covid, won’t it improve over time? I think I read that it does.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
According to acquaintances, sometimes it does and sometimes no. Also, those who regained taste took varying lengths of time to recover.
I’d go with this rather than the anecdotal both because it’s more positive and seems more authoritative. We must be careful a bit. Your language sounds like 50/50. I’d be cautious giving out that appraisal. Here’s one answer I found by Google. Not definitive and could be researched further later: “It's unlikely [to be permanent], since COVID-19 doesn't appear to damage olfactory nerves or taste buds directly – it only affects the cells that support your olfactory nerves. Your body is great at rebuilding nerve support cells. Over time, the ones supporting your olfactory nerves should completely heal themselves.” The brackets are mine.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not definitive and could be researched further later: “It's unlikely [to be permanent],
I only know one person who hasn't recovered their palate to some degree or another. Certainly not definative as it's only been a bit more than a year. Those that have recovered did so in a matter of weeks, some a couple of months, as best they can tell. Plus, it's a matter of degrees, over time and some weren't all that aware of how discerning their palate was in the first place. And, yea, it's all anecdotal. Even the formal studies coverr such a short period of time as to not be definitive. At my age and, the age of most of my acquaintances, not much of anything rejuvenates once lost or degraded. A few years from now medical science will have a decent grasp of Covid. The definitive "book" on the illness probably won't be written until I'm in an urn on the kid's mantel piece.

Reactions: milk

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Retrohale does nothing for me.

I just light the tobacco in different ways.

I’ll light it as little as it takes, to be able to take the slightest sip.

I’ll light a little more another time, also to take very small sips.

Another time, I’ll light the tobacco more and sip again.

Then sometimes, I light it so the entire chamber is lit, and take various sized sips and puffs.

I’ve always noticed, the less I light the tobacco, and only take a few sips, and then let it go out and cool down before relighting over, I experience the strongest flavors.

I basically only just gently smack my lips together, like we do when tasting something, I do the same for smoking.

I’ve also noticed, that right when the bowl is going out, and I take a sip, which isn’t really putting smoke in my mouth, but more like pulling flavors through the stem, I experience unique tastes at times with some blends.

Basically for me, it’s like being a wine taster smacking their lips looking for flavors, is how I hunt for them.

Last edited:

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Retrohale does nothing for me.

I just light the tobacco in different ways.

I’ll light it as little as it takes, to be able to take the slightest sip.

I’ll light a little more another time, also to take very small sips.

Another time, I’ll light the tobacco more and sip again.

Then sometimes, I light it so the entire chamber is lit, and take various sized sips and puffs.

I’ve always noticed, the less I light the tobacco, and only take a few sips, and then let it go out and cool down before relighting over, I experience the strongest flavors.

I basically only just gently smack my lips together, like we do when tasting something, I do the same for smoking.

I’ve also noticed, that right when the bowl is going out, and I take a sip, which isn’t really putting smoke in my mouth, but more like pulling flavors through the stem, I experience unique tastes at times with some blends.

Basically for me, it’s like being a wine taster smacking their lips looking for flavors, is how I hunt for them.
This seems like something to try. I reread posts like these because it gives me a clue to how a person gets flavor in their own way. I do notice I enjoy the pipe more and avoid bad consequences when I don’t draw any smoke at all but just let smoke drift in naturally with the pipe in my mouth. I can try sipping from that and so on…I know someone is going to say this is all too complicated but when you first get going with this hobby, it’s helpful to experiment.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
and for me I get flavor but retrohales just give me wet ashtray notes. I guess everyone is different. And the thing with tastebuds is they're spread out randomly so it's totally not weird for a person to have sensitive spots and more dead spots. Or to not have that issue at all. Probably just have more taste buds on the tip that pick up the qualities of flavor you get from a pipe. I think I have a good spread in my tongue and get the most flavor by letting it spread out. But it is literally something that is the most normal thing that you describe. Then we could get even more complicated and note how saliva effects taste as well. Too much waters things down and creates a barrier and not enough causes a total lack of most flavors being detected. Or long story short some people will experience the same some won't and heck even the particular moment and conditions in ones mouth can effect it.
Side note a sip of water for me can sometimes fix a dull taste with a pipe. And sometimes if I go in dry the first minute tastes pretty dull and dead no matter the technique or how flavorful the smoke should be.

Reactions: Mortamyhr and milk

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm glad to say my tongue and nose both work just fine. When I started pipe smoking, I couldn't pick anything out of retrohale. Probably due decades long cig smoke. But after few years, retrohale started working. But before that I got everything out of my sense of taste. Room note wasn't there since I only smoke outside. I think sense of taste and smell work together rather nicely. By the way, are you sure you are not tasting condensed tobacco steam? Also known as tobacco juice?

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I'm glad to say my tongue and nose both work just fine. When I started pipe smoking, I couldn't pick anything out of retrohale. Probably due decades long cig smoke. But after few years, retrohale started working. But before that I got everything out of my sense of taste. Room note wasn't there since I only smoke outside. I think sense of taste and smell work together rather nicely. By the way, are you sure you are not tasting condensed tobacco steam? Also known as tobacco juice?
I never thought of that. It’s a thought. Perhaps so.

Reactions: bullet08
I always get some flavor except the month after I had COVID - then nothing. My taste came back overnight and I was so relieved! It's the same as before (i am a super taster/smeller so my life would have been over if it hadn't). I will say I get s bit more on retrohale but on inhale through my nose the taste explodes. That said, there are times when tastes are muted a bit and I think it is more my mood than anything OR I have been smoking for several days straight. A couple days off and the flavors return in a more powerful way. everyone is different and subjectivity is a bugger