Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatme99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Somewhere in this vast universe
I've been up for hours and I'm bored, so Where have you lived?
State, town, country, deployed, stationed, shipboard, anywhere. How about had to be there at least one whole month, enough time to get to know the area.
In no order and multiple times in the same state or area wasn't necessarily contiguous:

Maryland: 12 different places. All DC metro and east to the eastern shore
Alabama: once
Newfoundland, St. Johns
Massachusetts: 3 places on Cape Cod
Rhode Island: Newport
South Carolina: Charleston
Pennsylvania: Kennett Square
Delaware: New Castle, 2 times
Arizona: 2 places
Colorado: 3 places
Tennessee: 2 places
Florida: 4 places

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Aug 1, 2012
In no particular order:

Nevada, USA
Wyoming, USA
Duendin, New Zealand (short term but long enough)
Riga, Latvia
Mumbai, India

Moving to another location in a couple of months, I just don't know what it is yet.

Reactions: rajangan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Park Ridge, a suburb of Chicago; Columbia Missouri; San Diego (Navy); shipboard USS Gallant including the Philippines, the South China Sea, offshore Vietnam, and Long Beach California; Midway Island mid-Pacific; Milwaukee; Greensboro, N.C.; Raleigh, N.C. Numerous trips, but nothing amounting to residency. I spent some time at my late wife's family summer place in Atlantic Beach, N.C. I'm remarried, and my wife and I have spent some time with her family in rural northeast Missouri.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I began in Newton Mass, the second closest town to the west of Boston.
At 4 or so we moved to Brookline Mass. The first town west of Boston. My house was 2.5 miles from Fenway Park.

For 3 years I lived in Wilbraham Mass which was 90 miles west of Boston. It was a private school, that was 3 of the best years of my life. I owned the place, had a hottie girlfriend which was right next to the school. They had horses cows, huge house huge chunk of land, I would guess 5 acres or so.
I barely graduated high school and then went to Boston University. I made it through a 2 year program before I dropped out. I hated school, I sucked at school and I couldn't take it anymore.
I had an apartment in Brighton Mass which was 2-4 miles west of the city. I bought my first piece of property in 1986. A condo in Waltham Mass right in the middle of a high tech labor market with places like IBM and many other high tec companies.

My next move was to Warwick R.I where I had opened my pool hall. I rented for a year as I only had the one kid at this time. Next kid came and so did a house. in West Warwick R,I 3 bedroom home with a nice finished basement with full size glass doors and it had a bathroom down there as well. We had a pool and the bathroom was for that mostly. a few years later and another kid and I bought a bigger house with some land.
It was a great party home with a deck that wrapped around the entire back of the house. Huge 20 by 40 kidney shaped pool with a 350,000 BTU heater. May first would come and my pool would be 86-89 degrees give or take a couple.Yes the electric bill was stupid(around 600) and I didn't give a shit. My pool was in use starting May 1 all the way to October1 every year. Had a huge hot tub in main bathroom. Kids loved that thing.
2003 I moved to Sarasota Florida for good. In 1998 my mother and sister bought a vacation home on the Island of Venice in a nice 4 bedroom home with a nice pool and heater of course. We used it a lot until I moved down for good. My mother moved down full time a couple of years later.

2007 did the divorce thing and I ended up buying a 3 bed 3 bath town home in a country club type place with tennis courts, full court basketball, everything was lit at night. I bought this place in 2010 or so. I am still living in Sarasota, 2 miles from my first house and the golf club I belonged to. I live maybe 8 miles from the beach, another 5-6 at the tennis club I was a member at.

Since I am crippled I cannot use my tennis courts or the basketball court. There is a huge community pool that they heat all year long.
I am not complaining as my home is perfect size. My last house was over 4000SQft, a kids playroom. The lanai was huge and I did brick pavers to cover the entire thing since what they had down was slippery and dangerous. I also put a safety net all around the pool until my youngest learned to swim which was almost at 5 years old, just a couple of months of shy. All my kids grew up with pools so they all learned to swim at the latest 5 years old.

I lived within 10 miles of the water my entire life.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Various parts of the greater Los Angeles area for most all of my life
San Francisco
Oakland
Been on location, generally for a few weeks at a time, in:
Canada - Vancouver, Victoria Island, Toronto, and Montreal
Wyoming
Montana
New Mexico - Mostly Santa Fé, Albuquerque. White Rock, and Taos. Also stayed with family. I know Santa Fé as well as LA
North Carolina - Cape fear and environs, Wilmington
New Hampshire
Vermont - mostly Jeffersonville with a few side trips into Stowe, Burlington, Montpelier, Barre and Saint Johnsbury
NYC
Texas - mostly Dallas
Arizona - Phoenix - Also lived in Phoenix for a couple of years as a tot.
Louisiana
Florida - spent some weeks in a godforsaken swamp about 90 minutes out of Orlando.
Got detained in Washington DC while on a reference shoot because the producer I was with thought it was hysterically funny to tell someone that we were there to figure out how to blow up the Capitol Bldg. So, I'm familiar with the Civil War era cells in the Capitol basement.

Pretty limited

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Born in Brooklyn, NY
Raised Augusta, GA
College Brunswick, ME with two months living in Chatham, MA on Cape Cod driving a laundry truck
More school back in Augusta
Hartford (actually New Britain, Avon) three years
Greater New London (for Navy) house in North Stonington, CT and then Westerly, RI
Albany NY three more years
Ft. Worth, TX
San Diego (recalled for Desert Storm) but stayed three years
Brunswick and Cumberland Foreside Maine until 2015
Weatherford, TX 30 miles west of Ft. Worth since 2015

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Born in orange ca lived their for a long time then moved to Morgan hill ca for a couple years then to Tucson Az for the last 21 years.

Reactions: jttnk

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
I've been up for hours and I'm bored, so Where have you lived?
State, town, country, deployed, stationed, shipboard, anywhere. How about had to be there at least one whole month, enough time to get to know the area.
In no order and multiple times in the same state or area wasn't necessarily contiguous:

Maryland: 12 different places. All DC metro and east to the eastern shore
Alabama: once
Newfoundland, St. Johns
Massachusetts: 3 places on Cape Cod
Rhode Island: Newport
South Carolina: Charleston
Pennsylvania: Kennett Square
Delaware: New Castle, 2 times
Arizona: 2 places
Colorado: 3 places
Tennessee: 2 places
Florida: 4 places