PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have to admit (it is the first step right?) that I fell for the Dunhill trap. You know, the one where you try a few Dunhill blends and are hooked and then you spend the rest of eternity trying to find them. I fell in love with the big 3: Aperitif, Nightcap, and Early Morning Pipe. I have found some other blends scattered about in stores, online and one time at a garage sale!
I have heard of some fellow pipe smokers tell me they just bought x amount of Nightcap or x amount of Dark Flake. However, I can not begin to even get lucky with a tin of Ye Olde Signe (not that I like that stuff, it tastes like corn maze hay). So I figured I would ask you guys, only if you are willing to reveal your source, where do you source your Dunhill from?
I know of places that have Elizabethan Mixture and Dunbar, but none that have my big 3. I have also phoned almost every tobacconist of the west and found no result. Help me man!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
HERE ya go. You're welcome! :mrgreen:
jay-roger.jpg

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
It's hard b/c the UK won't ship to the USA and reputable shops like The Danish Pipe shop stopped shipping outside of Denmark. My methodology:
a) pipe shows - usually aged tins but always a find in there somewhere

b) B&M stores. Like crate digging but for tobacco.

c) this forum and others like it.
Good luck, I have some EMP and Aperitif stocked up for a short while, but I am on the hunt for Dunhill Flake. If you ever wanna trade, I've got some Nightcap lying around that I'd be happy to swap.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I have to admit (it is the first step right?) that I fell for the Dunhill trap. You know, the one where you try a few Dunhill blends and are hooked and then you spend the rest of eternity trying to find them. I fell in love with the big 3: Aperitif, Nightcap, and Early Morning Pipe. I have found some other blends scattered about in stores, online and one time at a garage sale!

I have heard of some fellow pipe smokers tell me they just bought x amount of Nightcap or x amount of Dark Flake. However, I can not begin to even get lucky with a tin of Ye Olde Signe (not that I like that stuff, it tastes like corn maze hay). So I figured I would ask you guys, only if you are willing to reveal your source, where do you source your Dunhill from?

I know of places that have Elizabethan Mixture and Dunbar, but none that have my big 3. I have also phoned almost every tobacconist of the west and found no result. Help me man!

OK...PM sent...If you can PM for Elizabethan (On-Line Site) that would be nice...only have 1 Tin.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
There are well-sourced rumors that STG will resume making the Dunhill brands, probably later this year. I wouldn't spend a boatload on recent Dunhill tobaccos right now. At most, I'd buy just enough for the next 6-12 months.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Jay, based on that price point, I just gave away $12,000 of EMP.
I gave away two five can rolls of Nightcap back in January. My Elizabethan stash will likely outlive me.
To the OP, it's like McClelland and many other blends that I and others have lost over the decades. It's best to move on and find new favorites.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Embers,
Are you saying that I need to just accept the fact they are gone??? I am in the bargaining stage, then a bit of depression should set in and finally I will accept it. I have a ways to go...
On a serious note, I have "kind of" moved on. I enjoy and have plenty of blends that are great. However, I want to stash some away and not smoke my last tin.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Are you saying that I need to just accept the fact they are gone???
Yep. Almost thirty years ago when I first started smoking a pipe the concept of a blend disappearing hadn't occurred to me until it did. Once I knew it was a possibility, I bought many pounds of favorite blends and found that decades later it was nicknamed "cellaring". I've watched four major favorites cease production since then, but have massive stashes of each one due to learning early on. That's why I tell people that if they like a blend, buy as much of it you can afford.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Embers,
Great advice. I have started to buy and store my favorites and will continue to keep my tobacco collection going. I have my 1st tin of Black Frigate on the way (someone gave me one from 2016 so I am going to wait to smoke that one) and maybe I will stop this random searching and just focus on smoking what I have.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I will say keep an eye on pipestud's consignment shop as Dunhill tins do pop up from time to time, but with so many other blends available, don't limit yourself.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Move on to other, better blends while keeping your eye out for Dunhill coming up for sale. I think if you give enough other good blends a try, you won't want to be paying a premium for the Dunhill stuff.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
"Move on to other, better blends while keeping your eye out for Dunhill coming up for sale. I think if you give

enough other good blends a try, you won't want to be paying a premium for the Dunhill stuff."
This is true. I have been on a Cornell and Diehl binge lately and I hope to keep on it.
"I will say keep an eye on pipestud's consignment shop as Dunhill tins do pop up from time to time, but with so

many other blends available, don't limit yourself."
I will keep an eye out for blends but refuse to pay the ebay prices. If a tin of Dunhill is over $20 I won't get it. I am interested but not desperate of them. Like Hoosier said, I will keep an eye out for it but I will definitely move on to other blends.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Doubt you'll be disappointed. Oh, Arango and Stokkebye Balkan Supreme is the same blend if you can't find one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.