PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
In honor of the Chicago Show approaching this weekend and as a sequel of sorts to this other thread I started, I wanted to pose the question: where do you buy your artisan pipes? This is a topic I am unfamiliar with, as I have never bought an artisan pipe. SmokingPipes is the most obvious answer, but there are a slew of other sites (Neatpipe, LePipe, Danish Pipe Shop, etc) that offer pipes by carvers like Micah Redmond, Ernie Markle, and Grechukhin. Then, of course, there is the option of buying directly from the carver him/herself.
So where do you buy your artisan pipes? I'm excluding commissions/custom makes from this topic.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I primarily only commission artisan pieces from Bruce Weaver. Online artisan pieces are okay, but there's nothing like one made just for you.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
So far, I have gone directly to the carver. Ryan Alden and BST.
Unless you count Becker, I got that from SPC on a trade in.
Or Peter Heeschen, I got that from Pipe Stud.
Or Tom Eltang.....Marty Pulvers.
It seems I can be unsure what and artisan is exactly.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Online sellers like Pipestud and Mkelaw-Pipes sell some beautiful estate artisan pipes. Just look to the right hand column on this page for site sponsors, as many deal in new and used fine artisan pipes.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I also have bought direct. 3 from Ryan Alden. There is nothing like custom ordering a pipe and talking to the carver about specifics. But The Briary in Birmingham has some nice offerings too. Got a nice Tom Richard there.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
SPC has 4 Aldens in stock at this time:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ryan-alden/

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Where Do You Buy Artisans?
I buy them in packages of 6, out in front of the local Home Depot.
I tried this yesterday, but accidentally bought Partizans. They just kept declaring mayday and babbling about the means of production as they seized all my tools. :?:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I usually go direct. Larrysson, Gabrieli (from Dan Chlebove) and JZP (from Jason Zeiner) and RD Pipes (from Ron Poewell). Never been disappointed with any of them.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I tried this yesterday, but accidentally bought Partizans. They just kept declaring mayday and babbling about the means of production as they seized all my tools. :?:
You must have ended up with these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4t3eNxrIk

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo papi - and not to forget the wonderful young Keystoner, Clark Layton. Or did you purloin that nice strawberry Layton that I was admiring?
In addition to all the excellent choices above, I've lately been also tapping into Silver Grays (closely affiliated with the excellent Brad Pohlmann), our local Tim Thorpe, ex-Morleyites J Alan and Mark Tinsky.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Depends which artisan(s). The online retailers offer a wide range of handmade pipes, so you have to research the individual carvers to learn who's who and what they do. Pipe shows are a good place to encounter carvers, some of whom don't sell online at all. Since you're dealing with individuals, you have to expect a lot of variation in how people work, how they market, how available they are for commissions, and so forth. One of my favorite carvers only sells at the state fair and the local pipe show at the state fairgrounds, and not online at all. So you have to make the journey to find and learn about the different ones and see who suits your needs.

twosheds1

Lurker
Oct 20, 2016
I haven't bought anything from him, but Craig Seder does beautiful work, and has how-to videos on You Tube.

http://sedercraft.com/

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
These are all great pieces of advice. I know I said I wasn't going to mention commissions, but out of curiosity, has anyone ever commissioned a Maddis pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.