PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Louisiana
BRAND new pipe smoker. Found a couple of blends with a lot of flavor and was delighted. But now I taste nothing but blandness no matter what toby I try. I suspect it has something do do with the tongue bite I've been experiencing. Is that the case? If not what is it? And will the flavor ever return? Advice? Thanks

Jun 4, 2014
First off welcome to the forum! I suspect you are correct, your case of tongue bite is the culprit for the lack of flavor. Your best bet is to let your tongue heal, take a few days off from smoking, rinse with mouth wash and brush your tongue, in a couple days it should feel better. Read some of the posts here about drying your tobacco and smoking pace/cadence. There are as some good video's on smoke cadence that may help.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's probably happened to most of us, but it sounds like you've burned your tongue a bit and worn out your tastebuds. Take a couple of days rest and things should return to normal. When I first started smoking, I'd notice a big difference in taste if I took a day or two off.
But now, even if I take a week off, I don't notice any difference -- that's because I'm not overheating my tongue like I did when I first started.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
It took me a little over a year to get proficient at pipe smoking. Eventually you learn to avoid tongue bite because it means time off from enjoying your favorite blends.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Also, probably now you are trying real hard to find flavor, and what's happening is you are just burning those big molecules off - you get a pipe hot puffing away, and all the oils and esters that make up "flavor" just get burnt right down to CO2 and H2O. Steam. No flavor, burnt tongue. Take a few days off, come back and smoke slowwwwww.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+1 with the above.
After you have let your tongue and mouth take a rest, try doing a few things differently.
Let your tobacco dry out for 15 minutes or longer before packing, if it feels damp. I find that I get the most flavor when my tobacco is dry to the touch while still pliant.
Pack your pipe lightly - fill to the top and pack down until about 1/2 way to the top, then fill again and pack that down to about 3/4, then add once more and pack sllightly.
LIght up and get a good coating of charred tobacco over the top, tamp that down and then light up again.
Puff to get the pipe lit, then slowly sip, like sipping a scotch, easing the smoke into your mouth without inhaling, and out through your nose if you can.
You will be surprised what flavors are revealed through a very slow sip. Think wisps of smoke, not wreaths of smoke.
Wait a few seconds and take another sip.
Repeat.
If the pipe goes out, just relight. Keeping the pipe going isn't the point. Getting flavors and enjoying your smoke is the point.
Slow sipping will avoid tongue bite and deliver the flavors.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might have the problem I have, if you are smoking aromatics. Most tobacco blends flavored with non-tobacco ingredients burn my mouth, even very mild ones. Whereas I can smoke full-strength non-aromatics with little or no problem. If you can find a non-aro you like, it might go better and flavor will return. It's worth a try.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Like Skydog said - avoid alcohol washes, try Biotene. Also, try switching categories of what you're smoking if one seems to go flavorless. Aro vs English vs VaPer etc

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
For what it's worth, I was on blood pressure medicine for six months and couldn't taste a thing while smoking. After I stopped the meds my taste returned. Also (for me) sipping some soda while smoking eliminates tongue bite, have been told the acid in the soda counteracts the alkaline in the smoke. YMMV.

smoky

Lurker
Aug 24, 2016
I agree with everyone else. Sounds like you cooked your taste buds. Take a few days off and the taste will return. I would also avoid any wet tobaccos soaked in PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.