PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I see today is National Paper Airplane Day in America. How long this has been going on I wouldn't know but it sounds quite a hoot.

We used to design and make all kinds of paper planes as kids, I recall one kid called Jeremy somehow managed to always get his planes to fly the furthest and one kid managed to get his effort to fly a full loop before inevitably crashing to the ground.

So guys, are you aware of this special day on your calendar?

Regards,

Jay.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Ugh, there are so many “National ______ Day”s out there I can’t keep track, and very few are actually observed. It’s been trendy the past few years to come up with a dedicated day for whatever pet project (including IPSD).

Reactions: Casual and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Paper airplanes were a continual interest from about age 6 to 17. My experiments with them led me to believe that indoors in a big area like a gym, launching the paper airplanes into a slight headwind (interior ventilation generated) resulted in the most lift and greatest distance. It may have been cheating, but a paper clip on the nose of a good sized paper airplane gave it some throw weight to climb up on the updraft and added to distance. When we got tired of paper airplanes, there was a paper folded fortune teller that passed some time.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...but a paper clip on the nose of a good sized paper airplane gave it some throw weight to climb up on the updraft and added to distance."

Tom, that's precisely what we did for extra distance! Sometime we would cut and fold flaps for the wings too but not with much success.

Regards,

Jay.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Thanks, you just reminded me that World No Tobacco Day is less than a week away. Glad I prepared, and a shout out to SP.com for being instrumental in said preparation. My only regret is that I have long since recycled the invoice--I'd enjoy the nostalgia of making a paper airplane out of it on this fine day.

Such is life. :(

Reactions: mawnansmiff
Status
Not open for further replies.