PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
I'm just curious how many people on here are under the age of 35. What got you into pipe smoking?

I'm 22, and I honestly didn't have much of an influence for pipes. I had heard them mentioned a few times, seen them plenty on tv, but never really payed attention to them
One day, I just decided I wanted to try it.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
27 here, been smoking for about a dozen years. There was probably some subliminal Sherlock Holmes and Tom Sawyer influence, but really I just always wanted to smoke a pipe, since I was a little kid. I grew up on a farm, and my grandfather taught me how to make corncob pipes when I was probably 10 or so.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
I too, am 22, and had no non-fictional piping influences in my life to give me the idea of piping in the first place. Yet, at 18, for seemingly no point other than a whim, I bought a used old Dr. Grabow Riviera with a cracked shank that I kept tight with a rubber band. It also came complete with a stinger that couldn’t be removed, so, fully cleaning it was nearly impossible. Even then, though, I enjoyed it, and I continued to puff a bowl of Prince Albert out of it every 3 months or so, and in the following years, I moved on to better things. Now, I’ve a pipe for every day of the week, I pipe almost every day, and I have a small cellar of somewhere around 10 pounds. It’s most probably my favorite hobby. I’ve no real plans for it or anything, I don’t really have PAD, I might pick up a few meers down the road, or maybe a briar again if I need to replace one. As far as TAD/cellaring goes, I only ever plan to have as much for myself as I need to smoke a bowl or two for the rest of my days. I can’t really get down with the “He who dies with the most toys wins” mentality.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I’m 33. I started smoking a pipe seriously when I was about 20/21, when I discovered the better tobacco. I smoked a pipe occasionally before then, my buddy’s dad smoked one and we used to snatch his pipes (he had dozens laying around) and handfuls of Carter Hall when we were teenagers. My earliest pipe smoking memory is puffing Carter Hall while on the roof of my friend’s dad’s ancient house, while the rest of the family and friends downstairs partied and played old-time fiddle music below us. The whole house was shaking, you could hear beer bottles falling off tables, guitars, banjo, fiddle, upright bass etc played as loud as possible, people dancing and laughing. And clouds of Carter Hall filling the joint.

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
I too, am 22, and had no non-fictional piping influences in my life to give me the idea of piping in the first place. Yet, at 18, for seemingly no point other than a whim, I bought a used old Dr. Grabow Riviera with a cracked shank that I kept tight with a rubber band. It also came complete with a stinger that couldn’t be removed, so, fully cleaning it was nearly impossible. Even then, though, I enjoyed it, and I continued to puff a bowl of Prince Albert out of it every 3 months or so, and in the following years, I moved on to better things. Now, I’ve a pipe for every day of the week, I pipe almost every day, and I have a small cellar of somewhere around 10 pounds. It’s most probably my favorite hobby. I’ve no real plans for it or anything, I don’t really have PAD, I might pick up a few meers down the road, or maybe a briar again if I need to replace one. As far as TAD/cellaring goes, I only ever plan to have as much for myself as I need to smoke a bowl or two for the rest of my days. I can’t really get down with the “He who dies with the most toys wins” mentality.
You remind me so much of myself. I'm just about to move into my first non rental home and hopefully I'll be able to do a cellar.

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
Young people don't have the time to smoke a pipe.
When old guys smoke a pipe it's a nostalgic link to their parents and grand parents.
When young folks smoke pipes, it's an affectation. :LOL:
?Well, I can't speak for the rest of them, because group think is silly, but when I smoke a pipe, just like when I strap my single action to my hip, or when I jump in my manual car, I do it to keep some history alive. As well as personal enjoyment, I don't give too much of a damn what other people think about how "cool" i look.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My dad commented on how much of an old soul I am the other day ?. Sometimes even the older ones don't get it.
I think old soul is a complement. It evokes a sentiment of wisdom. Maybe nostalgia for things imagined, before your time. Keep it up, not everything from before 1999 is old, dumb, and technologically disadvantaged (Except some of the social/ moral injustices that plague all of human history, and sadly, always will, because we are... human).

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
?Well, I can't speak for the rest of them, because group think is silly, but when I smoke a pipe, just like when I strap my single action to my hip, or when I jump in my manual car, I do it to keep some history alive. As well as personal enjoyment, I don't give too much of a damn what other people think about how "cool" i look.
Wow, you have a single action,!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, I'm one of the old guys, where ever you draw that line, but I'm pleased to see how many members are in their twenties and thirties. If you can do it in moderation, I think pipe smoking is a good connection to a historical past whether familial or general. From before my birth, my dad smoked from after breakfast (breakfast was high religion in my family) until bedtime, only owning one pipe at a time, and always smoking Granger bought in a pouch. He quit at 65 for a campus job that was no-smoking and lived until he was 89. His dad smoked a pipe, as did an uncle by marriage who was an upscale pipe and tobacco smoker, hefty aromatics.

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
I started smoking a pipe in my late 20’s and am soon to venture into my 40’s. For years, my friends have joked about me being an old man and having an old man habit; more recently, they comment on missing me and my pipe smoke on camping/fishing trips, with a few even considering taking up a pipe of their own.

I guess that makes me a pioneer... or a pioneering old man. Get off my lawn!

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
Hey, I'm one of the old guys, where ever you draw that line, but I'm pleased to see how many members are in their twenties and thirties. If you can do it in moderation, I think pipe smoking is a good connection to a historical past whether familial or general. From before my birth, my dad smoked from after breakfast (breakfast was high religion in my family) until bedtime, only owning one pipe at a time, and always smoking Granger bought in a pouch. He quit at 65 for a campus job that was no-smoking and lived until he was 89. His dad smoked a pipe, as did an uncle by marriage who was an upscale pipe and tobacco smoker, hefty aromatics.
I actually tried to get my dad into it, I think if it weren't for my mom he would, but I'd rather have her around. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.