PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Mason jars are sold here, though the ones I've seen did not have bailing wire. But we also have our own versions of mason jars, Norgesglass ("Norway jar"), and there are lots of other brands besides - both with and without rubber seals. Even the ones without rubber seals - the ones with continuous threads at least - should provide a perfectly adequate seal.

Here's a typical Norgesglass (I use smaller ones):

DSF8831.jpg
Those jars will not keep tobacco long term. They're good for tobacco you're currently smoking. But the threaded jars or Mason jars are the ones to use. I find mylar bags better though with vacuum seal

Reactions: ItsKarl

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
Relevant report: After finally pulling some of the American tins from deep in the cellar I transferred several to jars thanks to a wake-up call here... SNIP
A little more to report for your consideration: I accidentially opened a couple 25+ year old tins in perfect condition, so even though food saver bags lost their seal, they kept most rust at bay, which might be important to you in a similar situation.

After so many years, from what I understand, the aging benefits are miniscule in perfect tins. The tobacco has changed for the better in these, but I didn't hear angels sing or anything that profound.

So, my experience here is with vac-bagged unopened tins. Without signs of rust, so I don't pop another good tin, I'm re-bagging the tins because it is really cool to pop a fresh tin from the last century, and mold has not been a problem at all. Also, you might as well just leave tins that have lost their seal, sealed and bag them for a little continued rust "resistance" until rust is evident. They're dry anyway already.

I can't say whether jarring a perfect tin's contents continues the aging process.

Anything with a hint of rust is getting jarred, because the rust sometimes clings to the tobacco. I'm in doubt, though, because a lot of the tins were aluminum (I think) and the "rust" must be tobacco moisture because aluminum rust isn't tobacco colored, right? Maybe I should have pried it off the walls but I didn't.

Reactions: ItsKarl

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Humidifier is perfectly fine when you want to mix the tobacco in the water so you can have tobacco vapor around the room all day long. Might want to add some fine whiskey to "kick it up a notch".