PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I'm still too new to pipes in general and I am a collector, so I haven't culled any estate pipes from my now very large rotation. That said, there are certainly a couple that really don't have much appeal to me and I don't feel compelled to smoke with far better options available. Eventually I will re-home them.

Reactions: Arthur Frayn

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've culled pipes from my collection a few times but I have maybe 10 or 15 pipes that I don't reach for that I won't be selling anytime soon. Some of them aren't worth that much in my opinion (about $20) but they have a history to them. I have a Salmon & Gluckstein straight billard that is over 100 years old, for example. I also have a couple of pipes stamped with the names of pipe shops that no longer exists. One is a duTreil, a pipe shop in New Orleans that went out of business in the late 1960s. The duTreil is also stamped "Algerian Briar Made in France."

On the other hand, I have sold a Dunhill Redbark, a Preben Holm Freehand and a Ben Wade by Preben Holm.

As for the original question, I will usually sell a pipe or two when I find a new pipe that I decide I want to buy.

Reactions: SBC

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have a NOS Dr. Grabow White Viscount as well as a Pipe Dan Reformed. I would like to sell both of these pipes as I don't smoke them, however, they are so unique and in such good shape, I like the way they look. The same with a Pipe Maker straight Rhodesian and a Briarlee Stroller. Very unique pipes. I worry about the home they would go to.

Reactions: SBC and reloader