PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Change is hard for people especially when that change is happening to something they care a lot about, such as a forum. But if you understand that it's not just change for change's sake and that there are real, practical, and beneficial reasons for the change, it makes user acceptance come quicker.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The flavour of the site is provided by the members, so I don't see it going away, unless the members themselves go away.
Whilst I am not fond of suxial media either, I think some are letting their anxieties go too far. Xenforo is NOT a Facecrook clone. It's a FORUM engine/platform. The basic mechanics of fora are NOT changed: you have threads, posts, discussions, typed participation. The software simply makes a number of things easier (such as posting pics, embedding media content, &c.), and adds a few bells and whistles such as Like buttons which you DON'T HAVE TO USE if you don't want to.
This is a tech forum I've been a member since AD 1999: PC Mechanic and which is currently using Xenforo (it originally used vBulletin, and it has maintained its same format with Xenforo, with a few minor changes that in no way break the functionality or experience). If you browse it a bit you'll see it's essentially what we have here with different graphics, icons, &c.
No need to fret, really. If you can post on this platform you'll be able to continue to do so without fuss on the new one. The new tools will be there if you care for them, otherwise you can continue as you've done so far. Just like the cruise control in your car: I never use it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I bet it'll be fine.
I hope there's a way to follow a discussion, as well as one to ignore certain threads.
And that there's a limit length for subject lines and handles.

Jan 8, 2013
How will I know to ignore it if I don't open it and read it?
I dunno. Maybe there does need to be a giant "CAUTION IGNORE THIS POST. DON'T OPEN IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. NO!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!" button that glows in neon blinking red that sets off a loud air raid siren when you mouse over it. :mrgreen:
Edit to add: That still doesn't solve the dilemma of not knowing unless you open it. Perhaps he hopes the post shows the original author of the post so he can ignore me... er... I mean whoever it was.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

That's actually a good point, and one thing I hope it's enabled in the new version: the ability to hover your mouse over a thread's title and get the first lines of the tread as a 'preview', then you know whether you're interested or not.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
It's all Anthony's fault.
And I feel awful :nana:
Don't worry, anthony. You *look* it, too. [evil grin, zwaytrudat, +3or4dozen, wow-at-that-grain!]
I'm like Mike & I'm certain a few other people in that I'll often recognize the image first off.
Bill

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I agree with Mike in regards to the colour scheme. It seems fitting for pipes and tobacco. One of these days l'll decide on an avitar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Re: Ignore. For those with lengthy memories of list like things, no problem, except you're still presented with the thread title.
For those of us that can't remember we didn't like a thread from three weeks ago which now someone has posted to, an ignore button that hides that thread is useful. Time saver.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This is a perfect example of why we need AI to take over...to decide for us what we should ignore.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
The 2 things i would like to see are

improved picture posting

go to first unread post in a thread,(saves scrolling through a large thread to find where you were)this exists on other fora i look at and I find it very usefull
however what ever happens happens its Kevins gig

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We're keeping the color scheme.
Everything else is changing. [:wink:]
That's the last straw, I'm out. I've grown to love the baby-shit brown banner, I can't change..... :puffy:

(and that's the first time, in 14k+ posts, that I used a smilie!)

Status
Not open for further replies.