When did Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic hit the market?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Andrew Womble

Lurker
Nov 17, 2020
Just a random question out of sheer curiosity that I can't find any info on. SWR original has a history that is well documented but it seems like the aeromantic version has no history that I can find online. Hopefully someone can shed light on this personal mystery of mine. If I had to take an educated guess, I'd lean towards the early 1970s

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
The first tobacco I can remember as a kid was a a large mason jar with the dark blue and red stripe pouch stored inside the glass at my grandfathers house.

There we’re also a few (most likely Grabow) pipes In the jar. Good memories.

Reactions: Jacob74

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I have been under the impression that Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic blend did not come out at the same time as Sir Walter Raleigh regular (which is also aromatic, but not the same as SWRA).
Their timeline doesn't specify when the aromatic debuted. You could contact them through their official website, referenced above. They also used to have a Gold blend, since discontinued, that I'd never heard of.

Reactions: Jacob74

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Both the SWR regular and aromatic are favorite burley based codger blends of mine. I'd be interested in seeing the history, if anyone follows up with main office. The regular is at its centennial, but the aromatic came along later, I think, but whether in the 1970's, I don't know. The pipe tobacco market had shrunk by then. You used to be able to get all the major OTC blends at drugstores, grocery stores, gas stations, and newsstands. Literally, they were in a row, maybe a dozen or more. Granger was one, Carter Hall, and Prince Albert, and so on.