PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
How about some photos Jay ? Those sound interesting.
Alas my condition no longer allows me to take and publish my own pictures. Shame as I would love to show them off as they are lovely examples of the Sheffield cutler's craft which has little changed over the centuries.

Here is a quote borrowed/stolen from the web...

"For centuries Sheffield has been noted as “the edge tool warehouse and cutlery workshop of the world.” One of Chaucer's characters in the “Canterbury Tales {1387}” is thus represented:

'A Sheffield thwytel bare he in his hose.'

This “thwytel,” or “whittle,” was a sort of bowie knife carried in the fourteenth century for the purposes of defence. In the Middle Ages arrow-heads were the staple manufactures of the town, hence the selection of crossed arrows as the arms of the borough. It is said that the Earl of Richmond's bowmen used Sheffield-made arrows at the battle of Bosworth."

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: ChippewaAce

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Sorry to hear that Jay. I have a friend who is a knifemaker and collector and I'm sure he would have loved seeing those too. Have an enjoyable weekend.
Jeff

Reactions: mawnansmiff

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
There are many good choices now. The buck 110 is a great knife but no pocket clip. I use Spyderco and Sog and Off Grid, and have (too) many in the safe. Fancy ones are swell and I have some but they can get lost, and I use the knives...use them fairly hard. Yard work, field work, boxes, even food...you name it. The perfect one is the one you have. Axis Lock and similar types are very useful for one+handed opening and closing. I prefer a blade with a sturdy tip...I don't need a "civilian". If I'm in trouble, I'm not down for a knife fight....

Reactions: JOHN72

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
A1vvK3awNfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The electrician, the small blade is perfect for plug tobacco. In a perfect world I would replace the can opener with scissors.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I didn’t know it was illegal to carry a pocket knife? I usually have one clipped to the inside of my pant pocket.
The rules vary from state to state. It is illegal in most states to carry a knife.
Queensland allows utility knives eg Swiss Army knives. In your state of WA, it is legal if it is a work necessity eg chefs knives.

I had a cigar cutter consficated at Sydney airport a couple of years ago on the basis that it was a bladed implement ?

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
The rules vary from state to state. It is illegal in most states to carry a knife.
Queensland allows utility knives eg Swiss Army knives. In your state of WA, it is legal if it is a work necessity eg chefs knives.

I had a cigar cutter consficated at Sydney airport a couple of years ago on the basis that it was a bladed implement ?
I had no idea. I guess I’ll have to be a bit more careful. I wouldn’t want some of my more expensive pocket knives to end up being confiscated. Confiscating a cigar cutter seems well over the top.

Reactions: OzPiper

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I didn’t want to start a new thread for this but I’m looking for a EDC as well in the $100-200 range , im eyeing a lot the Kershaw blur - Blackwash , any thoughts on this ? Thanks a lot . View attachment 108930
I don’t have one, but it looks like a cool knife that seems to get positive feedback from people. The recurve on the blade may be a bit harder to sharpen than a straight blade, but that wouldn’t stop me from buying it.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Earlier in the thread, I posted about the knife bought at Dollar Tree (where until recently and after the merger with Dollar General, everything was $1 or less).

This is my second one (picture below). The first lasted through two moves as a boxing knife and more than earned its keep.

I picked up another for my third (and hopefully final move) and a backup. Yes, I have other, better knives (like my wustofs), but outside of the kitchen, these are my favorite because they are suprisingly durable, cheap and reliable (kinda like me).

Attachments

• 20211114_082130.jpg
    20211114_082130.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: ChippewaAce

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I had a cigar cutter consficated at Sydney airport a couple of years ago on the basis that it was a bladed implement ?"

My late brother in law told me of the many international and internal US flights he took whilst wearing a belt with a knife concealed in the buckle mechanism!

BTW, I believe the law here in the UK bans any blade over 4 inches long to be carried in public places.

Regards,

Jay.