What's your poison of choice when smoking a pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
When I say poison, I mean alcohol :) I know tamer drink choices like ice water, soda, and juice are all common choices when smoking a pipe, but cmon! Everyone's got to have at least one alcoholic beverage that they like to pair with their favourite bowl of baccy every once in a while :puffy:
I enjoy scotch, (probably tell by my username 8) ) so occasionally I'll have a couple ounces of the stuff in my Glencairn glass while smoking my pipe. I've found that Talisker 10 Year goes well with Frog Morton, Macallan Sherry Oak 18 Year (a real treat!) goes extremely well with Peterson Special Reserve 2012 (also a nice treat if you guys can find it!) and Sunset Breeze as well. Still haven't found a pairing yet for my dad's Johnny Walk Blue, so the next time he lets me have a glass I'll have to pull out the tobacco's and have a few puffs of each :puffy: :D

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Macallan 12 year-old on special days. Famous Grouse blended scotch quite often. I just like the stuff.

Pimms #1 Cup in the summer is a good choice as well.

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
right this moment? Newman's Own Limeade (on the rocks). Yum!
when i'm in an ethanol mood, it's a nice Bourbon, f'shizzle. i just killed my last bottle of Van Winkle 10 year 107 Reserve and can't find anymore :-( :-( .
doody.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
When it comes to liquor I prefer bourbon.

Top shelf is nice but I have no problems with Old Crow in a pinch.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I wish I could acquire a taste for scotch, it sounds like it goes great with a pipe. To me it tastes like kerosene. I have tried some really high end stuff but I cannot get to like it.
I drink Tito Vodka with cranberry or diet tonic water. I was a grey goose guy forever until I found Tito. They are a small batch distillery from Texas of all places and they refine it 6 times. You can drink it all day and never get a hangover.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I knew it was time for the annual drink thread to pop in. Someone else can likely find it in the archives so that you will have 3 x the answers to your question.
Anyway, red wine for me....goes exceptionally good with Penzance

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I've yet to find a blend I don't enjoy with a glass of Johnny Walker gold. I'm sure I would enjoy blue label but have decided not to open that can of worms yet......I spend enough on the gold label already and know exactly what my preference would become with a taste of blue..... :roll:

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I just have no love for scotch. I love some bourbon neat or with a small splash of water. Buffalo Trace is my favorite, Four Roses small batch is second choice.

patriotfirst

Lurker
Feb 8, 2010
Gotta say Dunhill Vanilla. That is some awesome tobacco! There have been some others I really liked, but since I didn't keep track of the name I unfortunately don't remember. Dunhill Vanilla is the latest and right now is my favorite. I'm still a beginner, but whatever. My only problem is that my oldest likes the smell of it, but my wife doesn't like it because it reminds me of her dad since my father in law is a pipe smoker. So, that doesn't really help me later on in the evening if you catch my drift...hahaha. My wife actually likes the smell of a good cigar.

tre123

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2012
Either a cold beer, diet coke or an occasional merlot. It's all good here. Lol

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
From a man who like alcohol TOO MUCH. :D
Iced tea,,,,,,no sweetener, no carbonation..

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Iced tea,,,,,,no sweetener, no carbonation.

Does it come any other way? Sure the South has Sweet tea, but proper Iced Tea is just that. Tea and ice.
I guess that since EVERYTHING is toxic (it all depends on the dose), my poison of choice is ice water. Great way to clean the palate.
-Jason

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
It's tough to pick just one. Bourbon is probably the one I choose most often but it has to be top shelf. Beer would be next but it has to be craft beer. Beaujolais or shiraz would be next. Last, would be rum and Coke with a spritz of lime.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Tequilla mixed with banana strawberry nectar on da rocks. 3 miles from Mexico...gotta drink tequilla, huh :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.