What's Your First Pipe Purchase of the New Year?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Just grabbed a badly described Mummert off Fleabay. Hope it's solid.

s-l1600.jpg

Corto Waltese

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
I bought this well-loved estate Bruyere “Fine”, with a Légionnaire’s head sculpt. (If anyone has any information about this type of pipe, please let me know.) The bowl needs a little cleaning, but otherwise it’s in great shape. (What tobacco would a Legionnaire smoke? I’m guessing it would be Oriental with a fair amount of Latakia...)12BD08DE-B342-4AB0-A3E5-CBFB467D0755.jpeg31675891-281B-4BAD-97AC-172CDE2A1F25.jpeg577B8980-56DF-437B-BF81-51BA62BDCF20.jpeg

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
I swore I wasn't going to buy another pipe this year as I can't find enough time to smoke the ones I have (92) but I couldn't pass up this gorgeous unsmoked Paul Perri Canadian Pot.

Paul is a true American classic. He's turning 100 this year and was carving pipes well into his 90s

1582649891853.png

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Just bought a Savinelli Bing's Favorite-rusticated. Just smoked it for the first time. Great pipe. Not only will this be my only pipe of 2020, but it is likely to be my last pipe ever since I have plenty of pipes and don't fancy getting another one.
Until you do.

Reactions: olkofri

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A new Kaywoodie Saxon straight rusticated billiard with a tapered stem, weighing about 1 ounce with thin chamber walls that still don't heat up, and a medium chamber despite the light weight. I'm more than a little impressed. No photo, but I guess everyone knows what this looks like.

Reactions: trubka2 and tnfan

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
On a trip to Pennsylvania in January I stopped in a Boswell's in Chambersburg. Wasn't planning on pipe purchase, but I couldn't resist:
IMG_4971.JPG

I suck at photos BTW. Shown getting loaded with some Dunbar.

This pipe has exceeded all my expectations, and at first I was very hesitant to purchase a new pipe with vulcanite stem but I trusted the Boswell fellow. I have since smoked this pipe at least 2 or 3 times a day, every day for the last month. It has not soured and only gets sweeter by the week. It is fast becoming m favorite pipe.

- Vulcanite stem is not oxidizing (I do keep it cleaned and mineral oil overnight)
- It never (and I mean never) smokes wet. The first pipe I own that smokes completely dry
- Very light, and comfortable clencher
- Very open airway, effortless draw

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
It came with filters. Not sure that I'll keep using them though.
OK.... Been trying the 6mm balsa filters for a while. I don't like them. They seem to swell with moisture and start to impede the airflow. When you insert them into the stem the corners of the triangles get sheared off so there isn't a hell of a lot of air flow to begin with. I enjoy the pipes a lot better since replacing the filters with the hole adapters that came with the pipes.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
OK.... Been trying the 6mm balsa filters for a while. I don't like them. They seem to swell with moisture and start to impede the airflow. When you insert them into the stem the corners of the triangles get sheared off so there isn't a hell of a lot of air flow to begin with. I enjoy the pipes a lot better since replacing the filters with the hole adapters that came with the pipes.
Missouri Meerschaum sells a different kind of balsa filters, not triangular but rather hexagonal with furrows on two sides. They've worked great for me and I've experienced none of the problems you mention. No tongue bite from moisture is certainly worth their cost.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
Missouri Meerschaum sells a different kind of balsa filters, not triangular but rather hexagonal with furrows on two sides. They've worked great for me and I've experienced none of the problems you mention. No tongue bite from moisture is certainly worth their cost.

Cool. Thanks for that lead. I'll give them a try. I like the fact that they soak up the moisture but having to suck versus sip is not enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.